This caramel apple sauce is a kitchen essential. It effortlessly elevates your dishes, from hot drinks to desserts, with its sweet, buttery goodness. Easy to make and perfect for everyday use, it's a must-have in your fridge.
❤️Why you will love this recipe
- Irresistible Flavor Fusion: It's a perfect blend of apple sweetness and creamy caramel flavor that's simply irresistible.
- Versatile Delight: Whether you're spicing up your hot toddies, drizzling it over desserts, or giving your morning coffee a delicious twist, this sauce is incredibly versatile.
- Comfort on Chilly Days: It's like a warm hug on those cold days, making it the ultimate comfort drink during the chillier seasons.
- Long-Lasting Freshness: With a 2-week shelf life in the fridge, you can enjoy it at your own pace.
- Easy Prep, Big Reward: The recipe is easy to follow, and the results are always delicious, with a smooth, sweet texture.
In a nutshell, this caramel apple sauce adds a delightful homemade touch to your cooking. Its incredible taste, adaptability, and lasting freshness make it a must-try recipe for every culinary adventurer.
If you like this recipe you should also try my Chai Simple Syrup.
Here's a list of the equipment you'll need:
- Medium-Sized Saucepan: A sturdy saucepan is the heart of this recipe, where you'll combine the apple cider and sugar, allowing them to meld into a sweet caramel base. Ensure it has enough capacity to hold the ingredients comfortably.
- Whisk: A reliable whisk is indispensable for stirring and incorporating ingredients smoothly, especially when adding butter and cream. It ensures that your sauce achieves a rich and creamy consistency.
- Oven Mittens: Given the potential for splattering when adding butter and cream, having oven mittens on hand is a smart safety precaution. They protect your hands from accidental burns during this step.
- Sterilized Jar or Bottle: You'll need an airtight container, such as a sterilized glass jar or bottle, to store your caramel apple sauce. Make sure it's clean and sanitized to maintain the sauce's freshness.
- Stove: A functional stovetop is essential for heating and boiling the ingredients at precise temperatures to achieve the desired caramelization and thickness. Ensure you have proper heat control during the cooking process.
Here's a breakdown of the ingredients you'll need:
- Apple Cider (or Juice): The star of this sauce, apple cider or juice provides the fruity base and natural sweetness that complements the caramelization process. Opt for quality apple cider to enhance the sauce's flavor.
- Sugar: Granulated white sugar is the primary sweetener that, when heated, transforms into a rich caramel sauce. It adds sweetness and the iconic caramel color to your creation.
- Vanilla Extract: Just a teaspoon of vanilla extract elevates the sauce with a delightful hint of vanilla's aromatic sweetness, enhancing the overall flavor profile.
- Butter: A couple of teaspoons of butter contribute creaminess and a luscious, buttery undertone to the sauce. It plays a vital role in achieving that perfect caramel consistency.
- Whipping Cream: Whipping cream is the key to creating a velvety texture in your caramel apple sauce. It adds a luxurious creaminess that makes the sauce irresistible.
- Salt: A teaspoon of salt is the secret ingredient that balances the sweetness and enhances the depth of flavor. It provides that perfect contrast to the sugary sweetness.
These handpicked ingredients blend harmoniously to whip up a caramel apple sauce that's become a cozy essential in my kitchen, especially during those chilly days. It's a trusted staple in my fridge, ready to transform hot toddies, desserts, and even my morning coffee into delightful treats.
👩🏻🍳How to make a caramel apple sauce
Here is a quick overview of the recipe steps. Please read the recipe card for the full instructions.
- Combine apple cider and sugar in a saucepan.
- Heat and stir until sugar dissolves and the mixture boils.
- Remove from heat, add butter, and whisk.
- Incorporate whipping cream and return to medium heat.
- Cook until the sauce thickens to a caramel-like consistency.
- Add vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
- Transfer the sauce to a sterilized jar and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy!
- Hot Toddies with a Twist: Elevate your hot toddy game by adding a spoonful of this sauce for a comforting and flavorful kick. Try my caramel apple hot toddy using the sauce.
- Dessert Darling: Drizzle it over ice cream, cakes, pies, or pancakes for an instant gourmet dessert upgrade.
- Morning Coffee Magic: Stir it into your morning coffee to create a cozy and indulgent caramel apple brew.
- Fruit Dip Delight: Use it as a dip for fresh apple slices or other fruits, turning them into a delectable treat.
- Toast Topper: Spread it on toast, muffins, or croissants for a sweet breakfast treat.
- Gift It: Package it in a charming jar to share with friends and family as a heartfelt homemade gift.
With these serving suggestions, your caramel apple sauce becomes a versatile companion for a wide range of culinary adventures, from hot drinks to delightful desserts. Enjoy the delicious possibilities!
Once your caramel apple sauce is ready, store it in a clean, sealed jar or container and keep it in the fridge. It will stay fresh and tasty for up to 2 weeks.
Just remember to take it out of the fridge about 15 to 30 minutes before using it. This short waiting period will allow it to soften slightly, making it easier to pour or mix into your recipes.
💭Frequently asked questions
Q: Can I store the caramel apple sauce at room temperature instead of the fridge?
A: It's recommended to store the sauce in the fridge due to the dairy content. Refrigeration helps prolong its freshness. However, remember to take it out a bit before use to allow it to soften for easy pouring or mixing.
Q: How can I tell when the sauce has reached the right caramel-like consistency?
A: The sauce is ready when it has thickened to the point where it coats the back of a spoon or reaches a consistency similar to traditional caramel sauce.
Q: Can I make this sauce without butter to reduce the fat content?
A: Butter is a crucial ingredient for achieving the classic caramel flavor and texture. Omitting it may alter the sauce's taste and consistency significantly.
Q: Is it necessary to use whipping cream, or can I use a lower-fat option like milk?
A: Whipping cream provides the creamy and luxurious texture that defines this sauce. Using milk may result in a thinner sauce with a different consistency.
Q: Can I use apple juice instead of apple cider?
A: Yes, you can use apple juice as a substitute. While apple cider adds a richer, more robust flavor, apple juice will work well in a pinch.
More comforting recipes to try
Caramel Apple Sauce
- 5 dl Apple Cider (or juice)
- 200 g Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoon Butter
- 2½ dl Whipping Cream
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- To e medium sized saucepan add the apple cider, the white sugar.5 dl Apple Cider, 200 g Sugar
- Turn the stove onto medium heat and let it cook till the sugar is dissolved. Make sure to stir the mixture.
- Bring the syrup to a boil and let it thicken for a bit.
- The next step can get a bit tricky. If you have ever made salted caramel sauce before you know that it can splatter a lot when adding the butter and cream. If you are not used to it I recommend wearing oven mittens just in case.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the butter. Immediately start mixing to incorperate the butter.2 teaspoon Butter
- Next add the cream and whisk till nicely incorporated.2½ dl Whipping Cream
- Get the pot back on the stove and let it cook on medium heat for a few minutes till it thickens. You will want it to have the same consistency you would have when making caramel sauce.
- Add the vanilla extract and salt and mix to incorporate.1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract, 1 teaspoon Salt
- Pour your sauce into a sterilized jar or bottle with an air-tight seal. Keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
US Customary conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.