Elevate your classic Affogato with a shot of Baileys! This Baileys Affogato recipe requires very little time to make which makes it the perfect last minute sweet treat. This grown-up version of the classic Italian dessert is perfect for hot summer days! Made with rich vanilla gelato, a shot of hot espresso and a splash of Baileys and topped with your favorite topping make this indulgent Italian dessert!
- Why you will love this Baileys Affogato recipe
- What is Affogato?
- Ingredients needed for Baileys Affogato
- How to make this indulgent Baileys Affogato
- Chefs tips:
- Serving suggestions for homemade Affogato
- Frequently asked questions
- More easy desserts you might want to try
- 📖 Recipe
- PIN THE IMAGE BELOW TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
- Never miss a recipe!
Why you will love this Baileys Affogato recipe
- Easy to prepare
- Requires less than 5 minutes
- 3-ingredients only
- Simple & elegant
- Bitter yet sweet
- Hot and cold at the same time
When it comes to desserts the Italian kitchen is way up on the top of the list of the best desserts out there! While the popular choices tiramisu and panna cotta need some work and time to get prepared this delicious 3 ingredient dessert is done in less than 5 minutes! This dessert is incredibly easy to make and requires ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. This makes it the perfect last-minute sweet treat to serve after dinner.
If you are looking for a simple no-bake recipe then this is it! There is absolutely no baking or cooking required. Even tough you only need 3 ingredients this dessert has it all! It is bitter yet sweet and you have both ice cold and hot components together. Plus it is dessert and coffee after dinner all in one! It can't get any better!
If you love this recipe you might also like this Baileys Iced Latte
What is Affogato?
Affogato is Italian and translates to "drowning". Which is literally what you do with this dessert! Drown your vanilla gelato in hot espresso and enjoy the simplest yet most delicious dessert!
Affogato is a traditional Italian dessert typically made with 2 ingredients only: hot espresso and ice cold vanilla gelato. The sweetness of the gelato balances out the bitterness of the coffee as it slowly melts into it.
Compared to the classic recipe this version adds extra flavor with a splash of liqueur.
Ingredients needed for Baileys Affogato
Affogato combined both ice cold ingredients with hot ones. This recipe requires the following simple ingredients:
- Vanilla Gelato or Ice Cream: Use rich vanilla bean ice cream or even better an Italian vanilla gelato. Good quality ice cream is key here!
- Coffee: Freshly brewed espresso is needed for this recipe. A strong coffee can be used instead. If caffeine keeps you awake at night you can replace the espresso with a decaff coffee.
- Baileys: A shot of liquor elevates the classic Affogato
How to make this indulgent Baileys Affogato
This indulgent Italian dessert is made in less than 5 minutes and only requires 3 simple ingredients. You will need a drinking glass or bowl and an ice cream scooper.
Scoop the vanilla gelato into a cup or bowl.
Pour the coffee over the ice cream.
Add a splash of Baileys.
Add preferred toppings.
- Gelato to espresso ratio: Use 1 shot of espresso to 1-2 scoops of ice cream.
- Freshly brewed: Make sure to use freshly brewed espresso! Coffee usually turns very bitter when it cools down which makes it less tasty.
- Keep it cold: Keep your gelato as well as the glass you serve it in cold. That way the ice cream will melt much slower.
- Serve immediately: The shot of espresso will melt your gelato so serve immediately in order for your guests to be able to enjoy the dessert properly.
- Serve it like a pro: Serve it like they do at the restaurants! When serving to guests keep the coffee on the side so they can pour it over the gelato themselves and therefore it is not melted already
Make your affogato even better with various toppings of your choice. Here are some ideas:
- Roasted Nuts (even better if roasted)
- Grated chocolate
- Chocolate sauce
- Sea salt
- Whipped cream
Serving suggestions for homemade Affogato
Serve your Affogato after dinner or as an afternoon treat along some Italian cookies or shortbread cookies like this pistachio shortbread cookie. You can serve this dessert in a small drinking glass, a dessert glass or simply in a bowl.
If you do have guests over and will serve a larger group try keeping the espresso shot separate and let your guests poor it over the ice cream themselves.
Frequently asked questions
Q: What's the best ice cream to use?
A: High quality vanilla gelato will be the best choice. A good vanilla bean ice cream work too tough. Traditionally you use a vanilla flavor but you can also try using other ice creams like stracciatella , a chocolate or nut flavored ice cream would work too.
Q: What's the best coffee to use for Affogato?
A: Use a freshly brewed espresso shot or a strong coffee like arabica. Fresh coffee has the best flavor. However, you can cool the coffee in order for the ice cream not to melt to quickly. You will have a more bitter taste from the coffee tough.
Do you need an espresso machine to make affogato? Absolutely not! You can substitute it with instant coffee. Be careful to not water it down to much tough and keep it strong.
Q: What does Affogato mean?
A: Affogato means drowned in Italian. This classic Italian dessert drowns gelato in a shot of espresso.
Q: Is Affogato hot or cold?
A: Both! You drown ice cold gelato in hot coffee which makes it a beautiful combo of hot and cold. You might think the hot espresso would melt the ice cream and turn everything into a complete mess, but the hot coffee only melts the gelato slowely.
Q: Can you make affogato ahead of time?
A: No, it is not recommended to do that. Your ice cream has to be frozen. However, you can make the espresso already and cool it or use cold brew you have prepared before hand. This will not melt the ice cream as quickly tough and taste slightly different.
Q: When do you serve an affogato?
A: Usually this easy coffee dessert is served after lunch or dinner. However, there really are no rules and this sweet treat can be enjoyed at any time of the day, just be responsible with the Baileys.
Q: How do you drink an affogato?
A: You eat the ice cream and coffee with a spoon and then drink the rest that melted into the bottom of the glass.
More easy desserts you might want to try
Baileys Affogato Recipe
- 1 Serving glass (small drinking glass, cup or a bowl)
- 2 scoops Vanilla Gelato or Ice Cream
- 1 Espresso Shot
- 1 tablespoon Baileys
- Brew an espresso. You will need 1 shot per serving.
- Add 2 scoops of vanilla gelato / ice cream into the serving glass.
- Pour the espresso shot over the gelato.
- Add a splash of Baileys.
- Garnish with your choice of toppings and serve immediately!
- Gelato: Choose a high quality vanilla gelato or ice cream
- Coffee: Use freshly brewed espresso or a strong coffee. Decaff coffee can be used
Metric conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
So delicious! Love this adult treat for summer. Yum!
I've had affogato many times but never thought to use Bailey's. It was so good! Will make this again
Cindy Mom the Lunch Lady says
We often have this for dessert when visiting my in laws. One of my fave Italian desserts
This is a dream come true! Perfect after dinner dessert/cocktail!
This boozy ice cream dessert is perfect
Giangi Townsend says
Bringing my favorite Italian dessert to a new level. A level that I absolutely love. Thank you! That was super delicious and everyone enjoyed it
Wohooo, so glad everyone loved it! Thank you so much for trying this affogato recipe and leaving your comment
A fabulous recipe! I use a dairy-free ice cream and bailey‘s almond variety to veganize it and it was heavenly!
So happy you loved the recipe Jacqui! Thank you for showing me a way to veganize it! I did not know you could get a bailey's almond variety. Always happy to learn new ways to adapt my recipes for everyone
I loved the adding of baileys into the affogato makes it a proper grown up dessert. It was extremely good.
Wow this Affogato version was amazing! Can't wait to make this again this summer
Cindy L says
Anytime anyone offers me espresso when I'm visiting, I ask if they have vanilla ice cream and suggest they try affogata LOL
This is a dream come true!! So rich and creamy!
This is such a decadent recipe! Perfect for a special treat after dinner!