This Tomato And Mozzarella Caprese Salad recipe will be the star of your next BBQ! Beautiful ripe tomatoes, fresh and soft mozzarella topped with best quality extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and fresh basil leaves will make this dish a summer favorite!
- ❤️Why you will love this recipe
- 📝The Ingredients
- 👩🏻🍳How to make this tomato mozzarella salad:
- 🌿How to chiffonade basil?
- 🍴Serving suggestions
- 🥄Storage / Shelf Life
- 💭Frequently asked questions
- More Italian inspired recipes to try
- 📖 Recipe
- Other recipes you might want to try with your next BBQ:
- Never miss a recipe!
❤️Why you will love this recipe
- Fresh and Vibrant Flavors: The combination of ripe tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and fragrant basil creates a burst of fresh and vibrant flavors in every bite.
- Easy and Quick: This recipe is incredibly easy to prepare, requiring minimal effort and time. It's perfect for busy days or when you want a simple yet delicious salad option.
- Versatile and Adaptable: You can customize this salad to suit your taste preferences. Add extra ingredients like sliced onions, olives, or pine nuts for added texture and flavor.
- Perfect for Summer: This salad is a refreshing and light option, ideal for hot summer days.
- Crowd-Pleaser: Whether served as a side dish, appetizer, or light lunch, this classic combination of flavors is loved by all. It's a crowd-pleasing dish that will leave everyone satisfied.
- Suitable for Various Occasions: From casual family meals to elegant gatherings, this salad fits any occasion. It complements a wide range of main courses and can be easily scaled up for larger gatherings.
- Healthy and Nutritious: Packed with vitamins, antioxidants, and good fats from the olive oil, this salad offers a nutritious option that aligns with a balanced diet.
- Farm-to-Table Experience: If you have access to fresh, locally grown tomatoes and basil, this salad provides a farm-to-table experience, highlighting the natural flavors of seasonal produce.
- Mediterranean-Inspired Delight: Indulge in the delightful flavors of the Mediterranean with this classic caprese salad. It brings a taste of Italy right to your plate.
Caprese salad is one of the easiest and quickest salads you can make. You only need simple ingredients most already have in their kitchen. It is the perfect dish to prepare real quick when you do not have much time but want something fresh on the table.
To prepare this delightful tomato and mozzarella salad, you will need a few essential kitchen tools. Here's an overview of the equipment required:
- Cutting Board: A sturdy cutting board will be useful for slicing the tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Knife: A sharp knife will enable you to slice the tomatoes and mozzarella into thin, even pieces.
- Shallow Bowl: Choose a shallow bowl or serving platter to assemble and present the salad beautifully.
- Measuring Spoons: Measuring spoons are handy for accurately adding the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
For this recipe you only need a few simple ingredients you can easily get at the normal store or even already have at home.
- Tomatoes: Choose medium-sized tomatoes that are firm to the touch.Select sweet, ripe tomatoes for the best flavor experience. Look for varieties such as juicy heirloom tomatoes, vine-ripened tomatoes, or cherry tomatoes bursting with sweetness.
- Mozzarella: Opt for fresh mozzarella, either in the form of a ball or log. It's creamy, mild, and pairs perfectly with the tomatoes, creating a creamy texture and a delightful combination of flavors.
- Olive Oil: Use extra virgin olive oil to drizzle over the salad. It adds a rich and smooth mouthfeel while enhancing the overall taste and bringing all the ingredients together.
- Balsamic Vinegar: Whether using regular balsamic vinegar or a balsamic glaze, it adds a tangy and slightly sweet note that complements the freshness of the tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Salt and Pepper: Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper over the salad to season and enhance the flavors of the tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Basil: Fresh basil leaves bring a fragrant and herbaceous element to the salad. Chiffonade the basil by thinly slicing it into delicate strips, releasing its aromatic oils and adding a pop of green to the dish.
👩🏻🍳How to make this tomato mozzarella salad:
Here is a quick overview of the recipe steps. Please read the recipe card for the full instructions.
Prepare the ingredients: Wash and slice the tomatoes into 0.5cm / about ¼inch slices. Cut the fresh mozzarella into the same thickness. Chiffonade the basil leaves.
Assemble the salad: Arrange the tomato and mozzarella slices in a shallow bowl, alternating between them.
Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar: Pour extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the salad.
Season and garnish: Sprinkle salt and pepper over the salad for seasoning. Add the chiffonaded basil leaves for a fresh herbal touch.
Serve and enjoy: Serve the tomato and mozzarella salad immediately and savor the delightful combination of flavors.
🌿How to chiffonade basil?
Chiffonade is a technique used to slice basil (or other leafy herbs) into thin, delicate strips. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to chiffonade basil:
- Start with fresh basil leaves: Choose fresh basil leaves that are vibrant in color and free from any browning or wilting.
- Stack the leaves: Take a few basil leaves and stack them on top of one another, making sure the largest leaves are at the bottom of the stack.
- Roll the stack tightly: Starting from one end of the stack, tightly roll the basil leaves into a cigar-like shape. This rolling process helps create compact and neat strips.
- Slice the roll: Using a sharp knife, make thin, crosswise cuts along the rolled basil leaves. Aim for slices that are around 0.5cm (about ¼ inch) wide. As you slice through the roll, the basil leaves will unfurl into beautiful, fine strips.
- Separate the chiffonade: Once you have sliced through the entire roll, gently separate the basil strips to loosen them up. You'll now have delicate and elegant basil chiffonade ready to use as a garnish or flavor enhancer in your dishes.
Chiffonaded basil adds a lovely touch to the tomato and mozzarella salad, imparting both visual appeal and a burst of fresh aroma. Enjoy incorporating this technique into your culinary creations!
The salad is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed in various ways. Here are some serving suggestions to inspire you:
- Classic Caprese: Serve the salad as a classic Caprese salad by layering the tomato and mozzarella slices with basil leaves. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bruschetta Topping: Use the tomato and mozzarella salad as a delicious bruschetta topping. Spoon it onto toasted bread slices and garnish with additional basil leaves for a delightful appetizer.
- Salad Bar Addition: Add the salad to your salad bar spread, allowing guests to create their own personalized salads by combining it with other fresh greens and toppings.
- Picnic Essential: Pack the tomato and mozzarella salad into a portable container for a refreshing and light dish to enjoy on picnics or outdoor gatherings.
- Side Dish: Serve the salad as a side dish alongside grilled meats, seafood, or pasta dishes, adding a burst of freshness and vibrant colors to the meal.
The tomato and mozzarella salad offers a wonderful base that can be customized with various ingredients to create delightful variations. Here are some ideas to inspire you:
- Mediterranean Twist: Add some sliced Kalamata olives, diced cucumber, and crumbled feta cheese to the salad for a Mediterranean flair. Drizzle with a lemon-herb vinaigrette to complement the flavors.
- Avocado Delight: Enhance the salad by adding ripe avocado slices for a creamy and buttery texture. Toss in some diced red onions and a sprinkle of toasted pine nuts for an extra layer of flavor and crunch.
- Fresh Fruit Fusion: Incorporate the sweetness of fresh fruits by adding sliced strawberries, juicy watermelon cubes, or tangy mango chunks to the salad. Top it off with a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of chopped mint for a refreshing twist.
- Grilled Vegetable Medley: Take the salad to the next level by including grilled vegetables such as zucchini, bell peppers, and eggplant. This adds a smoky char and a depth of flavors to the dish. Finish with a drizzle of balsamic glaze for a touch of sweetness.
- Caprese Skewers: Transform the salad into convenient and bite-sized appetizers by threading cherry tomatoes, mini mozzarella balls, and basil leaves onto skewers. Arrange them on a platter and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic glaze for an elegant presentation.
These variations allow you to explore different flavor profiles and add your own creative touch to the tomato and mozzarella salad. Feel free to experiment and discover new combinations that suit your taste preferences and culinary imagination.
🥄Storage / Shelf Life
Refrigerate any leftover salad in an airtight container. Consume the salad within 1-2 days for the best freshness and taste.
If the salad has been refrigerated and the ingredients have slightly softened, freshen it up by drizzling some extra olive oil and balsamic vinegar before serving.
💭Frequently asked questions
Q: Can I use dried basil instead of fresh basil?
A: Fresh basil is recommended for its vibrant flavor and aroma. However, if you don't have fresh basil, you can use dried basil, but the flavor will be milder.
Q: Can I substitute the mozzarella with another type of cheese?
A: While mozzarella is traditional for a classic caprese salad, you can experiment with other soft cheeses like burrata or even goat cheese for a different flavor profile.
Q: Can I make this salad in advance?
A: It is best to assemble the salad just before serving to maintain the freshness of the ingredients. However, you can prep the ingredients ahead of time and assemble them closer to serving.
Q: Can I add other vegetables or ingredients to the salad?
A: The tomato and mozzarella salad is a versatile dish, and you can add additional ingredients like sliced cucumbers, avocado, or even a drizzle of pesto for added flavor and variety.
Q: Can I use a different type of vinegar instead of balsamic vinegar?
A: Balsamic vinegar adds a unique sweetness and tang to the salad. However, you can use other types of vinegar such as red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar if desired.
Q: Can I make this salad vegan?
A: Yes, you can make a vegan version of this salad by using plant-based mozzarella alternatives or tofu-based mozzarella-style cheese.
Q: Can I prepare the salad without olive oil?
A: Olive oil adds richness and flavor to the salad, but if you prefer to omit it, you can serve the tomato and mozzarella with a sprinkle of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper instead.
Q: Can I adjust the seasoning to my taste?
A: Absolutely! Feel free to adjust the amount of salt, pepper, or other seasonings to suit your personal preference. Taste and adjust as needed before serving.
More Italian inspired recipes to try
Tomato And Mozzarella Salad
- Cutting Board
- Shallow bowl
- Meassuring Sppons
- 2 Tomatoes medium sized, on the firm side
- 2 Mozzarella fresh
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar or balsamic glaze
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 handful Basil leaves
Prepare the ingredients
- Wash the tomatoes and slice them into approximately 0.5cm (about ¼ inch) thick slices.2 Tomatoes
- Cut the mozzarellas in half and then slice into 0.5cm thick slices.2 Mozzarella
- Chiffonade the basil leaves.1 handful Basil
Assemble the salad:
- In a shallow bowl, arrange the tomato and mozzarella slices, alternating between them.
- Pour extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar (or balsamic glaze) over the salad.2 tbsp. Olive Oil, 2 tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the salad to taste.Salt and Pepper
- Scatter the chiffonade basil strips over the salad for added freshness and flavor.
- Present the tomato and mozzarella salad as a delightful appetizer or side dish. It pairs beautifully with crusty bread or as a refreshing accompaniment to grilled meats or seafood.
- Tomato Varieties: Feel free to experiment with different tomato varieties for unique flavor profiles. Options like heirloom tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, or vine-ripened tomatoes can add interesting textures and colors to the salad.
- Fresh Mozzarella: Opt for fresh mozzarella for the best taste and texture. It's typically found in the form of a ball or log packed in water. If using pre-sliced mozzarella, make sure it's fresh and of good quality.
- Balsamic Glaze: If you prefer a thicker and sweeter dressing, substitute balsamic vinegar with balsamic glaze. Drizzle it over the salad for a beautiful presentation and intensified flavor.
- Serving Temperature: This salad is best enjoyed at room temperature to allow the flavors to meld together. However, you can chill it in the refrigerator for a refreshing twist on hot summer days.
- Make-Ahead: While the salad is best served fresh, you can prepare the ingredients in advance and assemble shortly before serving.
- Leftovers: If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Consume within 1-2 days for optimal taste and texture.
US Customary conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.