Stay warm with this delicious Caramel Apple Hot Toddy! A classic drink with a twist! A homemade caramel apple sauce topped with an apple hot toddy and some booze will keep you warm all winter long!
- The inspiration for this recipe
- ❤️Why you will love this recipe
- 📝The Ingredients
- 🍎How to make the caramel apple sauce:
- 👩🏻🍳How to make this caramel apple hot toddy
- 🍴Serving suggestions
- Other uses for the sauce:
- 💭Frequently asked questions
- More winter recipe to try
- 📖 Recipe
- PIN THE IMAGE BELOW TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
- Never miss a recipe!
The inspiration for this recipe
A very good friend of mine loves making a drink when we meet up. His cocktail creations are absolutely amazing and always make you want more. As a thank you for all the great drinks he made for his flat mates and me over the past year I wanted to create a drink for him that he will love for the winter season. Something that will keep him warm and has his favorite flavors in it.
One thing you should know about him is that he LOVES salted caramel sauce. He will literally spoon it out of the jar and gets excited like a little kid when I make him fresh salted caramel sauce. When not spooning it out of a jar he will definitely be drizzling it over every meal that tastes good with it or simply add a spoon full to his morning coffee. So obviously my warming cocktail had to include something with caramel!
There are so many hot drinks you can sip on during winter. You can make tea, holiday inspired lattes, hot chocolate or glühwein. However, there is one classic drink that stood out for me when trying to create the perfect drink for my friend: the good old hot toddy! Simple to make, boozy and like a big hug from the inside.
❤️Why you will love this recipe
This hot toddy recipe is based on a homemade caramel apple sauce. You start out by making an apple simple syrup and then use the same technique as when you make salted caramel sauce by adding butter and cream. It is the perfect mix between simple syrup and caramel sauce! This sauce is finger liking good and approved by my friend.
To make your caramel apple hot toddy, you won't need any fancy equipment. Here are the basic tools you'll need:
- Cup or Heatproof Glass: You'll need a cup or glass to serve your hot toddy in.
- Small Saucepan: You'll need a small saucepan to heat up the apple cider, lemon juice, and cinnamon stick.
- Spoon: A regular spoon will do just fine for stirring your drink.
That's it! With these simple tools, you'll be all set to whip up your delicious caramel apple hot toddy.
To make this hot toddy, you'll need these simple ingredients:
- Caramel Apple Sauce: Recipe below
- Apple Cider: Grab your favorite apple cider for this recipe. If you don't have cider, apple juice is a great substitute.
- Lemon Juice: It's there to balance out the sweetness from the syrup and apple cider.
- Alcohol: Pick your favorite - I personally like rum or whiskey, but you can use whatever you prefer.
- Cinnamon: Just one cinnamon stick to add some flavorful goodness to your hot toddy.
🍎How to make the caramel apple sauce:
Before you can make this boozy drink, you will have to make the sauce. Here is a link to the detailed recipe for the caramel apple sauce.
The ingredients for the sauce are:
- Apple Cider: You can use apple cider or apple juice. Both works and tastes amazing.
- Sugar: You can use just white sugar or do half white and half brown sugar for a more caramel like taste.
- Vanilla Extract: If you don't have vanilla extract, you can use vanilla paste, vanilla powder, or even replace the white sugar with vanilla sugar in the same amount (1:1).
- Butter: Unsalted butter is perfect for adding a creamy, buttery richness to the sauce.
- Cream: Heavy whipping cream works perfectly.
- Salt: Heavy whipping cream works perfectly.
This recipe will fill 2 small mason jars (add amount).
Here is how it is done:
- To e medium sized saucepan add the apple cider, the white and the brown sugar.
- Turn the stove onto medium heat and let it cook till the sugar is dissolved. Make sure to stir the mixture.
- Bring the syrup to a boil and let it thicken for a bit.
- The next step can get a bit tricky. If you have ever made salted caramel sauce before you know that it can splatter a lot when adding the butter and cream. If you are not used to it I recommend wearing oven mittens just in case.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the butter. Immidiately start mixing to incirperate the butter.
- Next add the cream and whisk till nicely incorperated.
- Get the pot back on the stove and let it cook on medium heat for a few minutes till it thickens. You will want it to have the same consistency you would have when making caramel sauce.
- Pour your sauce into a sterilized jar or bottle with an ai-tight seal. Keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
👩🏻🍳How to make this caramel apple hot toddy
Here is a quick overview of the recipe steps. Please read the recipe card for the full instructions.
- Make the Caramel Apple Sauce.
- Heat apple cider with lemon juice and a cinnamon stick.
- Add your preferred alcohol.
- Pour the hot toddy over caramel apple sauce.
- Stir and enjoy!
Watch this video to see how to make this drink:
Here are some fun ideas for you to enjoy this hot toddy recipe:
- Garnish with Cinnamon: Sprinkle a pinch of ground cinnamon on top of your hot toddy for an extra burst of flavor and a festive touch.
- Whipped Cream: Top your hot toddy with a dollop of freshly whipped cream for added creaminess and a touch of luxury.
- Caramel Drizzle: If you're feeling extra indulgent, drizzle a little extra caramel sauce on top of the whipped cream for a sweeter and more decadent treat.
- Cinnamon Stick Stirrer: Use a cinnamon stick as a stirrer to infuse even more cinnamon flavor as you enjoy your drink.
- Serve with Apple Slices: Slice up some fresh apples to serve alongside your hot toddy for a delightful contrast in texture and a refreshing bite.
Feel free to mix and match these suggestions to create your perfect presentation for this cozy and delicious beverage!
If you find yourself with extra hot toddy, it can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for a day or two. Reheat gently on the stove, in the microwave or in a slow cooker before serving.
Remember that alcohol can evaporate when reheated, so be mindful of that if you choose to reheat your hot toddy. Enjoy your cozy drink responsibly!
To save time, you can prepare the caramel apple sauce in advance and store it in the fridge.
Other uses for the sauce:
The caramel apple sauce is very versatile! You can:
- add it to your coffee
- drizzle it over your dessert like pie or ice cream
- drizzle it over your breakfast like pancakes or french toast
- add it to any other drink you like
- get a spoon and and eat it it straight out of the jar! My friend highly recommends it!
💭Frequently asked questions
Q: Can I use the syrup instantly?
A: Yes, you absolutely can use the sauce immediately and do not have to let it cool down. Just be careful to not burn your hands as it will be very hot.
Q: Can I make a big batch?
A: Yes! Making a bigger batch of this hot toddy is absolutely no problem! Usually, 1 cinnamon stick is enough even if you double or triple the recipe. If you make more, I recommend adding an additional cinnamon stick.
Making bigger batches will be perfect if you have guests over or the whole family wants to sip on some warm hot toddies. You can keep it warm on the stove. That way the flavors will intensify too as it soaks longer.
More winter recipe to try
Caramel Apple Hot Toddy
- 2-3 tablespoon Apple Caramel Sauce
- 2 dl Apple Cider (or apple juice)
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 dl Alcohol (rum, whiskey, etc)
- To a cup or heat proof glas add the homemade apple caramel sauce.
- Set a small sauce pan on the stove.
- Add the apple cider, lemon juice and cinnamon stick to the pan.
- On medium heat let the mixture cook for a while till it is nice and warm and the cinnamon had time to infuse its flavor into the apple cider.
- Turn off the heat and add your preferred spirit to the apple cider mixture.
- Pour the hot toddy over the caramel apple sauce.
- Stir everything well. You can use the cinnamon stick to stir or simply get the spoon. Leave the cinnamon stick in the drink to let it infuse even longer. Enjoy!
US Customary conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.