Pumpkin Spice Latte Made At Home
This super quick and easy Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe will bring the popular drink to your home! The homemade version is better than Starbucks!
When fall comes around the corner the pumpkin everything meals and drinks come out everywhere. A pumpkin spice favorite to many is the pumpkin spice latte (PSL). There are many debates about if it really is as good as some say or simply is just a hype and completely overrated. Either you love it or you hate it. As pumpkin everything is something rather new to where I come from, I was always super excited when Starbucks finally brough out their seasonal fall drinks again! However, over time I just could not drink it anymore. Starbucks holiday drinks usually are very, very sweet. Too sweet for me and many others! Plus, you could only get the drink for a few weeks before Christmas season started and the PSL got replaced with the holiday drinks.
A solution was needed! Making things from scratch is something I absolutely love. As I am already making my own pumpkin puree at home every fall it was a logic step to start experimenting with my own pumpkin spice latte recipe.
Why is homemade pumpkin spice latte so good?:
Making your PSL yourself brings many benefits with it!
- You can adjust the sweetness. Especially when Starbuck’s version is too sweet for you this will be your solution.
- The intensity of the pumpkin flavor can be adjusted.
- You can adjust the coffee intensity.
- You will be able to fulfill your cravings whenever you want.
- Better than Starbucks!
Pumpkin everything is not for everyone. However, by adjusting the ingredients to your liking even those opposed might start to like it and see why we love it so much!
Ingredients for this recipe
- Milk: You can use any milk, dairy and non-dairy.
- Pumpkin Puree: Use store-bought or homemade puree. Make sure that you use pure puree and not pumpkin pie filling.
- Brown Sugar: The molasses in the brown sugar gives the latte a light nuttiness which goes perfectly with the earthy flavor of the pumpkin. The sugar sweetens the latte. Without the sugar the drink is very heavy on the pumpkin which might taste rather unpleasant.
- Coffee: The lattes you usually get at coffee shops like Starbucks use strong espresso shots. So, this recipe uses espresso too. Make it in a strength you like it. A very strong espresso is recommended tough.
- Vanilla Extract:
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: It is no PSL without the pumpkin pie spice!
- Optional topping: for example, whipped cream or milk froth
Homemade pumpkin spice:
Unfortunately, not everyone can just buy pumpkin spice at the store. Can you make your own pumpkin spice at home? Well, yes you can! To make your own pumpkin spice you simple have to mix:
- Ground cinnamon
- ground Ginger
- Allspice (if not available simply use ground cloves)
Unfortunately, I have not made the perfect blend yet. There are many recipes online tough.
It is important to me that you know that the measurements used in this recipe are how I personally like my pumpkin spice latte. However, I encourage you to play with the ingredients until you get it just right for yourself. If you like a stronger coffee taste than add another coffee shot. If you prefer it sweeter then add more sugar etc. Simply start off with this basic recipe and start adjusting in the future.
How to make pumpkin spice latte at home
Making your own PSL is super easy! It is a one pot recipe and done in just a few minutes. Here is how it’s done:
To a small pan add the milk, pumpkin puree and sugar.
Set the pot on the stove.
On medium heat warm up the mixture until the sugar is melted.
Turn off the heat and add the espresso, vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice.
Mix everything together with a whisk.
Pour the mixture into a cup. You might want to use a sieve as usually not all of the pumpkin puree dissolves in the milk.
Top the latte with your choice of topping.
Top your PSL with some whipped cream. What makes it even better is if you make your whipped cream yourself and add some vanilla sugar or pumpkin spice with it before whipping. Flavored whipped cream always rounds up your drink! On top of that you can sprinkle some pumpkin spice over it.
A simpler topping would be a simple milk froth, preferably hot steamed to keep it stiff longer
FAQ and Expert tips:
Can you make an iced version of the pumpkin spice latte?
Yes, simply let the milk mixture cool down and add the coffee later. Use cold coffee or even better cold brew. Pour everything over some ice.
Can I use a sugar substitute?
Yes, you can. however, the flavor will be different as brown sugar as a strong flavor. You might have to play with the other ingredients a bit in order to make it taste good.
Spike your latte with some booze of your choice.
Other pumpkin recipes you might like:
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Sieve (optional)
- 1 big cup
- 4,5 dl Milk
- 2-3 tbsp Pumpkin Puree
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Espresso shots (strong)
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- To a small pan add the milk, pumpkin puree and sugar.
- Set the pot on the stove.
- On medium heat warm up the mixture until the sugar is melted.
- Turn off the heat and add the espresso, vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice.
- Mix everything together with a whisk.
- Pour the mixture into a cup. You might want to use a sieve as usually not all of the pumpkin puree dissolves in the milk.
- Top the latte with your choice of topping.
- Top your PSL with some whipped cream. What makes it even better is if you make your whipped cream yourself and add some vanilla sugar or pumpkin spice with it before whipping. Flavored whipped cream always rounds up your drink! On top of that you can sprinkle some pumpkin spice over it.
- A simpler topping would be a simple milk froth, preferably hot steamed to keep it stiff longer