This super quick and easy Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe will bring the popular drink to your home! Completly made from scratch this recipe can easily be adjusted to your liking so you have your perfect PSL.
When fall comes around the corner the pumpkin everything meals and drinks come out everywhere. A pumpkin spice favorite to many is the pumpkin spice latte (PSL). There are many debates about if it really is as good as some say or simply is just a hype and completely overrated. Either you love it or you hate it. As pumpkin everything is something rather new to where I come from, I was always super excited when Starbucks finally brough out their seasonal fall drinks again! However, over time I just could not drink it anymore. Starbucks holiday drinks usually are very, very sweet. Too sweet for me and many others! Plus, you could only get the drink for a few weeks before Christmas season started and the PSL got replaced with the holiday drinks.
A solution was needed! Making things from scratch is something I absolutely love. As I am already making my own pumpkin puree at home every fall it was a logic step to start experimenting with my own pumpkin spice latte recipe.
❤️Why you will love this recipe
Making your PSL yourself brings many benefits with it!
- You can adjust the sweetness. Especially when Starbuck's version is too sweet for you this will be your solution.
- The intensity of the pumpkin flavor can be adjusted.
- You can adjust the coffee intensity.
- You will be able to fulfill your cravings whenever you want.
- Better than Starbucks!
Pumpkin everything is not for everyone. However, by adjusting the ingredients to your liking even those opposed might start to like it and see why we love it so much!
If you like this recipe you should try making my pumpkin filled ravioli!
You won't need much to create this recipe.
- Small Saucepan: This is essential for heating and blending the milk, pumpkin puree, and sugar together.
- Whisk: A whisk is handy for mixing the ingredients smoothly and ensuring they are well incorporated.
- Espresso Machine: To brew two strong shots of espresso, you'll need an espresso machine or an alternative method to make espresso.
- Measuring Spoons: Use measuring spoons to accurately portion out the brown sugar, vanilla extract, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Cup or Mug: Choose a cup or mug of your preference to serve the latte in, ensuring it's large enough to hold the mixture.
- Sieve (Optional): While not mandatory, a sieve can help strain out any remaining bits of undissolved pumpkin puree when pouring the latte into your cup.
Before we dive into making your own pumpkin spice latte, let's get familiar with the stuff you'll need. From the milk to the spices and espresso, these are the building blocks of your cozy fall drink. Knowing what goes into it will help you brew up the best homemade version of this autumn classic. Let's break it down!
- Milk: You can choose any type of milk, whether it's dairy or non-dairy, to suit your dietary preferences.
- Pumpkin Puree: Opt for either store-bought or homemade pumpkin puree, ensuring it's pure and not pumpkin pie filling, to capture that authentic pumpkin flavor.
- Brown Sugar: The addition of brown sugar imparts a delightful nutty undertone that beautifully complements the earthy pumpkin essence. It also sweetens the latte, balancing the richness of the pumpkin for a more enjoyable taste experience.
- Coffee: To replicate the robustness of the lattes found in coffee shops like Starbucks, this recipe incorporates strong espresso shots. Adjust the strength of your espresso to your personal preference, although a bold, intense espresso is highly recommended for an authentic taste.
- Vanilla Extract: A touch of vanilla extract enhances the latte's overall flavor profile, adding a subtle layer of sweetness and aroma.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: This quintessential spice blend is the heart of the Pumpkin Spice Latte (PSL) experience, infusing it with warm, aromatic notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger, making it a true autumn delight.
- Optional Topping: To elevate your latte, consider garnishing it with indulgent toppings like whipped cream or frothy milk, adding a luxurious finishing touch to your homemade pumpkin spice latte.
It is important to me that you know that the measurements used in this recipe are how I personally like my pumpkin spice latte. However, I encourage you to play with the ingredients until you get it just right for yourself. If you like a stronger coffee taste than add another coffee shot. If you prefer it sweeter then add more sugar etc. Simply start off with this basic recipe and start adjusting in the future.
🎃Homemade pumpkin spice:
Don't worry if you can't find pumpkin spice at your local store; you can easily whip up your very own at home! Crafting your homemade pumpkin spice is a breeze — all you need to do is combine these simple ingredients:
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground Ginger
- Allspice (if not available simply use ground cloves)
👩🏻🍳How to make pumpkin spice latte at home
Here is a quick overview of the recipe steps. Please read the recipe card for the full instructions.
Making your own PSL is super easy! It is a one pot recipe and done in just a few minutes. Here is how it's done:
- Heat milk, pumpkin puree, and brown sugar until sugar dissolves.
- Stir in espresso, vanilla extract, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Mix well and strain into a cup if needed.
- Add toppings like whipped cream or frothed milk.
- Enjoy your homemade pumpkin spice latte!
Serving your homemade pumpkin spice latte can be a delightful experience, with plenty of options to personalize it to your liking:
- Whipped Cream Wonderland: For a classic touch, crown your latte with a dollop of whipped cream. The creamy, airy topping perfectly complements the warm flavors of the latte. Take it up a notch by making your whipped cream from scratch and infusing it with vanilla sugar or a dash of pumpkin spice before whipping.
- Frothy Milk Bliss: If you're aiming for a simpler topping, a hot steamed milk froth is a fantastic choice. It not only complements the creamy texture of the latte but also stays stiff longer, allowing you to savor the frothy goodness as you sip.
- Drizzle of Caramel: Elevate your latte by drizzling a ribbon of rich caramel sauce on top. The combination of caramel's sweetness and the spiced latte's warmth is a match made in flavor heaven.
- Chocolate Shavings: For the chocolate aficionados, grating some dark chocolate or adding a dash of cocoa powder can introduce a subtle cocoa kick that harmonizes beautifully with the pumpkin and spices.
- Toasted Nuts: Enhance your latte with a sprinkling of crushed toasted nuts like pecans or almonds, adding a delightful crunch and nutty dimension to your drink.
- Alcohol-Infused Indulgence: If you're seeking an adult twist, consider spiking your latte with a shot of your favorite spirit. Whiskey, rum, or spiced liqueurs like Baileys or Kahlúa can introduce a cozy, grown-up element to your drink. Just remember to sip responsibly!
Whether you prefer the opulence of flavored whipped cream or the simplicity of a hot steamed milk froth, these serving suggestions and flavor twists offer a delightful array of ways to enjoy your homemade pumpkin spice latte.
🥄Storage and Make Ahead Instructions
Enjoying your homemade pumpkin spice latte is a treat, and with a few storage and make-ahead tips, you can savor this comforting drink at your convenience:
1. Immediate Enjoyment: If you've just whipped up a batch and can't wait to indulge, pour your freshly made pumpkin spice latte into your favorite cup or mug. Add your chosen toppings and savor it while it's still warm and inviting.
2. Storing Leftovers: Should you have any leftover pumpkin spice latte, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Be sure to remove any whipped cream or froth if you've added them, as they don't store well. Consume your refrigerated latte within 2-3 days for the best flavor.
3. Make-Ahead Batch: To ensure you have pumpkin spice latte ready at all times, consider making a larger batch in a slow cooker. Simply combine your milk, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, and spices in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. Add the espresso and vanilla extract before serving. Keep the slow cooker on the warm setting to maintain the perfect serving temperature.
4. Reheating: When you're ready for another cup, gently reheat your stored latte in a saucepan over low heat, stirring until it's warm and creamy. Avoid bringing it to a boil, as this can affect the texture.
With these storage and make-ahead options, you can enjoy the cozy goodness of homemade pumpkin spice latte whenever the craving strikes. Whether you prefer it freshly made or have a batch ready in your slow cooker, the choice is yours, ensuring you're always just a sip away from comfort in a cup.
💭Frequently asked questions
Q: Can you make an iced version of the pumpkin spice latte?
A: Yes, simply let the milk mixture cool down and add the coffee later. Use cold coffee or even better cold brew. Pour everything over some ice.
Q: Can I use a sugar substitute?
A: Yes, you can. however, the flavor will be different as brown sugar as a strong flavor. You might have to play with the other ingredients a bit in order to make it taste good.
Q: Can I use a different type of milk, like almond or soy, for this recipe?
A: Absolutely! You can use any milk you prefer, whether it's dairy or non-dairy. Almond, soy, oat, or coconut milk are excellent alternatives that work well with this recipe.
Q: Can I adjust the sweetness of the latte to my taste?
A: Absolutely! The brown sugar in the recipe provides sweetness, but you can adjust the amount to your liking. Add more or less sugar to achieve your desired level of sweetness.
Q: Is there a non-alcoholic alternative to spike the latte for an adult twist?
A: If you prefer a non-alcoholic version with a similar kick, consider adding a splash of non-alcoholic spirits. There are many great brands out there and more and more coming onto the market.
Q: Can I make this recipe without an espresso machine or coffee maker?
A: If you don't have an espresso machine or coffee maker, you can use strong brewed coffee as a substitute. Simply brew a strong cup of coffee using your preferred method, and use it in place of the espresso shots in the recipe. Adjust the strength to your liking, and it will still work well in your homemade pumpkin spice latte.
Q: Can I use canned pumpkin pie filling instead of pure pumpkin puree?
A: It's best to use pure pumpkin puree rather than pumpkin pie filling for this recipe. Pumpkin pie filling contains added sweeteners and spices, which may alter the flavor and sweetness of your latte. Pure pumpkin puree allows you to control the sweetness and spice levels to achieve the perfect balance.
More fall recipes to try
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Sieve (optional)
- 1 big cup
- 4,5 dl Milk
- 2-3 tablespoon Pumpkin Puree
- 2 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 2 Espresso shots (strong)
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- To a small pan add the milk, pumpkin puree and sugar.4,5 dl Milk, 2-3 tablespoon Pumpkin Puree, 2 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- Set the pot on the stove.
- On medium heat warm up the mixture until the sugar is melted.
- Turn off the heat and add the espresso, vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice.2 Espresso shots, 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract, ½ teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Mix everything together with a whisk.
- Pour the mixture into a cup. You might want to use a sieve as usually not all of the pumpkin puree dissolves in the milk.
- Top the latte with your choice of topping.
- Top your PSL with some whipped cream. What makes it even better is if you make your whipped cream yourself and add some vanilla sugar or pumpkin spice with it before whipping. Flavored whipped cream always rounds up your drink! On top of that you can sprinkle some pumpkin spice over it.
- A simpler topping would be a simple milk froth, preferably hot steamed to keep it stiff longer
US Customary conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.