This Toxic Waste Mac And Cheese is the perfect meal during the Halloween season. Using green food coloring and spinach will turn a classic Mac and Cheese recipe into disgustingly delicious toxic waste you can eat. Get lots of flavor with no stress as you will need less than 30 minutes to prepare this meal!
Halloween has never really been a big thing in Switzerland. However, after spending my first Halloween in the US I was obsessed! Just the feeling you have when driving trough the streets and see all the decorations, so dark and creepy. People in the US go nuts when it comes to holidays decorations and I love it! Since then I have the urge to create creepy treats during spooky season. However, I always only made snacks and sweets like those spider cookies. A main course had to get on the table too cause what is Halloween without a whole spooky meal?!
When thinking about Halloween the US is the first thing popping up in my mind. Something super easy and quick my boyfriend and I love to whip up on a weeknight is mac and cheese. A good old classic comfort food you can make in just a few steps. With this recipe I take this good old classic dish and give it a spooky twist.
What Makes This Toxic Mac And Cheese So Good?
- The ultimate easy recipe! You need less than 30 minutes to prepare this dish and without any stress.
- Simple ingredients: This recipe only uses easy available ingredients that most of us have at home.
- Sneaky Vegetables: The entire family loves it and you can sneak in some healthy vegetables with the spinach.
- Creepy factor: This dish definitely does not look like your ordinary mac and cheese. When looking at it the first time your guests or family will definitely be creeped out. Hair raising guaranteed!
- Full of flavor: It might look disgusting but this bowl of goodness is filled with lots of flavors! Everyone will eat up and ask for more of this stomach-turning deliciousness.
Ingredients for toxic waste mac and cheese
- Milk or heavy cream
- Salt & Pepper
- Onion Powder
- Cayenne pepper
What cheese to use for mac and cheese:
The most commonly used cheese is cheddar cheese (both versions). Having lived in Switzerland my whole life cheddar is not a cheese to me tough and I honestly am not the biggest fan of its flavor. It sure does melt perfectly tough and therefore does work very well for your mac and cheese.
I personally prefer using parmesan or a mixture of parmesan and shredded mozzarella. It is important to use shredded mozzarella as the fresh mozzarella does not really melt and only forms a big messy clump of cheese.
What pasta to use for mac and cheese:
It really does not matter what pasta shape you use. The most popular and typical mac and cheese obviously are macaroni's as the name says. Really any shape works tough.
How to make toxic waste mac and cheese
Melt the butter in a large pot.
Add the flour and whisk to combine. Let it simmer for 1-2 minutes while constantly stirring.
Once the butter starts to get brown and has a nutty flavor whisk in the milk. Make sure you've got no clumps in your sauce. Use a whisk to get them out. This is the part that thickens the sauce.
Next add some flavor to the dish. Add all the spices and the mustard. Stir everything to combine. Let it cook until it starts to simmer (about 5-8 minutes).
Remove the pot from the heat and add the cheese. Stir until it's completely melted into your sauce.
Next add the spinach and the food coloring. Mix and keep adding green food color until you get the desired green.
Cook the pasta and add the drained pasta to the cheese mixture.
If the cheese sauce is to thick add some of the pasta water.
Stir everything well and serve 💚
I have used both in this recipe and both work without a problem.
Both options work. However, make sure to thaw your frozen spinach first as we only throw it in at the very end. Make sure to wash and drain your fresh spinach.
Storage of mac and cheese
If you happen to have some leftovers then keep them in an air-tight container in the fridge. When wanting to warm up your food I recommend adding some milk or having cream to it. Then warm it up on medium heat on the stove or use a steamer or microwave. When it is warm you can mix it well and have a nice and creamy cheese sauce again. The more often you do that the more of the flavor will get lost. Make sure you add some more spices again if that happens.
Toxic Waste Mac And Cheese
- Green Food Coloring
- 3 tablespoon Butter
- 3 tablespoon Flour
- 5 dl Milk or heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Mustard
- 250 g Cheese of your choice; grated
- 300 g Spinach fresh or frozen
- 300 g Pasta
- Melt the butter in a large pot
- Add the flour and whisk to combine.
- Once the butter starts to get brown and has a nutty flavor whisk in the milk. Make sure you've got no clumps. Let it simmer for 1-2 minutes while constantly stirring.
- Add all the spices and the mustard. Stir everything to combine. Let it cook until it starts to simmer (about 5-8 minutes).
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the cheese. Stir until it's completely melted.
- Next add the spinach and the food coloring. Mix and keep adding green food color until you get the desired green.
- Cook the pasta and add it to the cheese mixture.
- If the cheese sauce is to thick add some of the pasta water.
- Stir everything well and serve
Metric conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
Other Halloween Recipes you might like:
Halloween Peanut Butter Spider Cookies
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!