If you're in the mood for a frozen dessert that's rich, creamy, and bursting with flavor, this recipe for Tiramisu Ice Cream is the perfect choice! Combining classic tiramisu flavors with homemade ice cream, this dessert is a true showstopper. Featuring a luscious mascarpone base swirled with a delectable mocha sauce and studded with ladyfingers for a bit of crunch, this Tiramisu Ice Cream is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. With simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, this recipe is a great option for both novice and experienced home cooks alike.
Why you will love this recipe
- Creamy and rich: The combination of mascarpone cheese and heavy cream in this recipe yields an incredibly creamy and luxurious texture that's sure to satisfy your cravings for a rich and indulgent dessert.
- Classic flavors with a twist: Tiramisu is a beloved classic dessert, and this recipe puts a unique spin on it by transforming it into a frozen treat that's perfect for hot summer days.
- Easy to make: Don't be intimidated by the fancy-sounding name and decadent flavors of this recipe. With just a few simple steps and easy-to-find ingredients, you can whip up a batch of Tiramisu Ice Cream in no time!
- Impressive dessert: Whether you're hosting a dinner party or simply looking to treat yourself to something special, this Tiramisu Ice Cream is sure to impress. Serve it in a beautiful glass bowl or atop a freshly made waffle cone for a picture-perfect presentation that's sure to wow your guests.
This Tiramisu Ice Cream is the ultimate indulgence for any dessert lover. The smooth and creamy ice cream, laced with the rich and velvety mocha sauce, is perfectly complemented by the delicate crunch of the ladyfingers. Whether you enjoy it as a mid-afternoon treat or a show-stopping finale to a dinner party, this recipe is guaranteed to leave you feeling satisfied and delighted. So go ahead and treat yourself to a scoop (or two) of this delectable dessert, and get ready to savor every delicious bite!
- Mixing bowl: For beating the egg yolks, sugar, and salt together until light and fluffy.
- Saucepan: For heating the milk and egg mixture until thickened and for making the mocha sauce.
- Whisk: For mixing the egg yolks, sugar, salt, milk, mascarpone cheese, and heavy cream.
- Spatula: For folding the egg-milk mixture into the mascarpone and cream mixture.
- Ice cream maker: For churning the ice cream mixture and freezing it.
- Freezer-safe container: For storing the ice cream in the freezer until it is firm.
All of these items are standard kitchen tools and should be easily accessible. If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can still make the ice cream by pouring the mixture into a freezer-safe container and stirring it every 30 minutes until it reaches the desired consistency.
Ingredients needed for Tiramisu Ice Cream
Here is an overview of the ingredients needed for this recipe.
- Sugar: Provides sweetness to both the ice cream mixture and the mocha sauce.
- Egg yolks: Used to create a custard-like base for the ice cream.
- Salt: Adds flavor to the ice cream mixture.
- Milk: Used to create the custard-like base for the ice cream.
- Mascarpone: A creamy Italian cheese that gives the ice cream its unique texture and tiramisu flavor.
- Heavy cream: Makes the ice cream mixture richer and creamier.
- Ladyfingers: A classic Italian cookie that adds both flavor and texture to the ice cream.
- Coffee: Used to infuse the ladyfingers with a rich coffee flavor and to make the mocha sauce.
- Cognac: A type of brandy used to add flavor to the mocha sauce and coffee used for soaking the ladyfingers in.
- Cocoa powder: Used to make the mocha sauce and as a garnish for the finished ice cream.
This is a quick overview of the recipe steps. Please read the recipe card for detailed instructions.
Start by mixing the egg yolks, salt and sugar until light and fluffy.
Then heat the milk on the stove and slowely pour into the egg mixture while mixing. Pour everything back into the saucepan and cook on medium-low heat until the mixture thickens. See the third photo below to see how the mixture should look. Set aside to cool completly.
Whisk together the heavy cream and mascarpone until light and fluffy. Then fold in the egg mixture until combined.
Pour everything into the ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturers instructions. Follow the no-churn instructions in the recipe card notes if you do not own an ice cream maker.
Prepare the mocha sauce and set aside. Then mix the coffee and cognac in a shallow bowl.
Assemble the Ice cream by adding half of the ice cream to a freezer save container.
Then soak each ladyfinger in the coffee cognac mixture and put on top of the ice cream layer.
Next pour the mocha sauce on top of the ladyfingers and top it all off with the rest of the ice cream.
Once ready to serve dust the ice cream with cocoa powder.
Storage / Shelf Life
Once you have made this delicious Tiramisu Ice Cream, it's important to store it properly to maintain its flavor and texture. Simply transfer the ice cream into an airtight container and place it in the freezer. The ice cream will keep well in the freezer for up to two weeks without losing its taste or texture. After two weeks, the ice cream may begin to develop freezer burn, which can cause the texture to become grainy and the flavor to become dull. For the best quality, it is recommended to consume the ice cream within the first week of freezing. To serve, allow the ice cream to sit at room temperature for a few minutes to soften before scooping.
Tiramisu Ice Cream is a rich and indulgent dessert that can be enjoyed in many different ways. Here are some serving suggestions to inspire you:
- Serve a scoop or two in a beautiful bowl, topped with a dusting of cocoa powder or shaved chocolate for an elegant presentation.
- Drizzle extra mocha sauce over the top for a decadent touch.
- Serve atop a freshly made waffle cone or wafer for a crunchy and satisfying treat.
- Add some chopped nuts, such as hazelnuts or almonds, for some extra texture and flavor.
- Pair with a cup of coffee or espresso for the perfect end to a meal.
Frequently asked questions
Q: Can I make this ice cream without an ice cream maker?
A: It's recommended to use an ice cream maker to achieve the perfect texture, but if you don't have one, you can still make it by manually churning the mixture every hour or so as it freezes.
Q: How long can I store the ice cream in the freezer?
A: This Tiramisu Ice Cream can be stored in the freezer for up to 2-3 weeks.
Q: Can I make this ice cream ahead of time for a party?
A: Yes, you can make this ice cream ahead of time and store it in the freezer until you're ready to serve it.
Q: Is it necessary to add cognac to the mocha sauce?
A: No, the cognac is optional and can be omitted if you prefer not to use it.
Q: Can I add other mix-ins to the ice cream, such as chocolate chips or nuts?
A: Yes, you can add other mix-ins to the ice cream if you like, but it's recommended to keep the overall flavor profile in mind so that the mix-ins complement the tiramisu flavors.
Q: Can I substitute the mascarpone cheese?
A: Yes, you can use cream cheese instead of mascarpone, but keep in mind that the flavor and texture will be slightly different.
Q: Yes, you can use cream cheese instead of mascarpone, but keep in mind that the flavor and texture will be slightly different.
A: The ice cream will need to freeze for at least a few hours, or until it's firm enough to scoop. This can vary depending on the temperature of your freezer.
Q: Can I make the mocha sauce ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can make the mocha sauce ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the fridge. Just be sure to reheat it slightly before using.
More summer recipes you could try
Tiramisu Ice Cream
- Mixing Bowl
- Ice Cream Maker find instructions in the notes if you do not have one to make it by hand
- Freezer safe container
- 125 g Sugar
- 3 Egg Yolks
- Pinch of Salt
- 150 ml Milk
- 250 g Mascarpone Cheese
- 125 ml Heavy Whipping Cream
- 4-5 Ladyfingers
- 2 Espresso
- 3 tablespoon Cognac
- 30 g Sugar
- 50 ml Strong Coffee
- 1 tablespoon Cognac
- 2 tablespoon Cocoa Powder plus extra for sprinkling
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks, sugar, and salt until the mixture is fluffy and light, which should take about 3 minutes.125 g Sugar, 3 Egg Yolks, Pinch of Salt
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until it is just simmering, but not yet boiling.150 ml Milk
- Gradually pour the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking continuously to combine.
- Transfer the mixture back to the pot and heat it over medium-low heat while stirring continuously until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon, which should take about 3-5 minutes. Be careful not to let it boil.
- Remove the mixture from heat and let it cool to room temperature. Then chill the mixture in the fridge until it is completely cooled.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the mascarpone cheese and heavy cream until the mixture is light and fluffy.250 g Mascarpone Cheese, 125 ml Heavy Whipping Cream
- Gradually fold the cooled egg-milk mixture into the mascarpone mixture, stirring gently until fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions. You want the ice cream to be soft-set, not completely frozen.
- While the ice cream is churning, make the mocha sauce. In a small saucepan, mix together the sugar, coffee, cognac, and cocoa powder until smooth. Set aside.30 g Sugar, 50 ml Strong Coffee, 1 tablespoon Cognac, 2 tablespoon Cocoa Powder
Assembling the Tiramisu Ice Cream
- Once the ice cream is ready, transfer half of it to a freezer-safe container.
- Mix the coffee and cognac in a shallow bowl.2 Espresso, 3 tablespoon Cognac
- Dunk each ladyfinger in the coffee cognac mixture and place them on top of the ice cream.4-5 Ladyfingers
- Pour the mocha sauce over the ladyfingers.
- Add the remaining ice cream on top of the ladyfingers and mocha sauce.
- Freeze the ice cream for a few hours, or until it is firm.
- Before serving, sprinkle some cocoa powder over the top of the ice cream. Enjoy!
Metric conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
Creative and delicious recipe!