Orange Hot Chocolate Recipe
This recipe makes a decadent, creamy orange hot chocolate, one of the best Christmas flavor combinations out there. With Grand Marnier being the secret ingredient for the flavor in this recipe you should prepare yourself for a boozy cup of pure comfort. This recipe is made in no time with only a few simple ingredients and can also be prepared in the slow cooker.
Why you will love this hot chocolate
- Christmas Flavor
This recipe is a variation of my basic creamy hot chocolate recipe. With Christmas around the corner this version uses Grand Marnier to create a delicious orange and chocolate flavor combination, one that many love.
If you like this hot chocolate you should try one of my other versions like this Earl Grey Hot Chocolate.
Ingredients needed for this recipe
You will only need a few ingredients to make this orange chocolate heaven
- Milk: Any milk, both animal and plant-based, works
- Cream: Heavy cream or half-and-half both work.
- Chocolate: Use your favorite chocolate. It can be a chocolate bar or chocolate chips as long as there are no additional ingredients like nuts in them.
- Orange Zest: Make sure to use organic oranges with no pesticides on them and clean them well before using the zest.
- Vanilla: Use the vanilla extract or use the paste or powder instead. 1 fresh vanilla bean cut in half would taste amazing too.
- Grand Marnier
How to make orange hot chocolate at home
Making hot chocolate is super simple.
Add all the ingredients but the Grand Marnier to a pot.
Simmer it on medium heat until the chocolate is all melted. Make sure to give it a good stir from time to time.
Mix it all together, add the Grand Marnier and serve hot with your favorite toppings.
Slow Cooker Instructions
If you want to make sure your hot chocolate is ready later and/or stays warm for the day you should try making it in the slow cooker.
Simply add all the ingredients to the slow cooker except the Grand Marnier. Let it sit on high heat for about an hour, giving it a quick stir every 30 minutes. Add the Grand Marnier, mix and enjoy
Keep your hot chocolate on low with the lid on on the stove or have it on warm in your slow cooker.
If you do not consume the whole amount, then store it in an air-tight container in the fridge. Then warm it back up on the stove or in the microwave. You might need to add some more milk as the cream tends to make the hot chocolate very thick over time.
Choose your favorite hot chocolate topping and enjoy your hot chocolate along side some delicious cookies!
Here are some topping ideas:
- Whipped Cream
- Frothed Milk
- Orange Flavored Whipped Cream (simply mix 1 teaspoon of Grand Marnier or orange extract into your cream before whipping)
Frequently asked questions
Q: Can I make orange hot chocolate without alcohol?
A: Absolutely! Simply replace the Grand Marnier with some orange extract which you can get in the bakery section at your store.
Q: Can you make hot chocolate for a crowd?
A: Yes, you can simply use the serving button in my recipe card to increase or decrease the recipe servings. If you do make hot chocolate for a crowd I recommend using a slow cooker as it keeps it warm the best over time.
Q: How can I make this hot chocolate vegan?
A: Simply replace the milk products with vegan alternatives like oat milk or cashew cream. Grand Marnier should be completely vegan upon my research but please do check the bottle you have first.
Q: Can I use an alternative for Grand Marnier?
A: Grand Marnier is the main flavor ingredient in this recipe so I do not recommend replacing it. However, you can use the orange extract instead to make it non-alcoholic or just try any other orange flavored liquor.
More recipes to try
Orange Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 1 Saucepan alternatively use a slow cooker
- 1 Whisk
- 8 dl Milk
- 1 dl Heavy Cream
- 100 g Chocolate
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Orange Zest of half an orange
- 2 tbsp Grand Marnier
- To a medium sized saucepan add all the ingredients except the Grand Marnier.
- Let the mixture simmer on medium heat till the chocolate has melted, about 5 minutes.
- Give it a good stir to make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Turn the heat to low, add the Grand Marnier and serve hot.
- Optional: Add you favorite hot chocolate toppings