Indulge in the ultimate refreshment this summer with the Hugo Cocktail - a fizzy and revitalizing drink that's simply perfect for hot days! Featuring the sweet and floral flavors of elderflower syrup, zesty limes, and fresh mint, this cocktail is made even more delightful with the addition of prosecco and sparkling water, making it the ideal bubbly libation for your upcoming BBQ party or picnic.
- ❤️Why you will love this recipe
- 📖The history of the Hugo Spritz Cocktail
- 📝The Ingredients
- 👩🏻🍳How to make a Hugo cocktail
- 🌼Need a homemade elderflower syrup recipe?
- 🍹Hugo mocktail for the kids!
- 🍴Serving suggestions
- 💭Frequently asked questions
- Other boozy recipes you might like
- 📖 Recipe
- PIN THE IMAGE BELOW TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
- Never miss a recipe!
❤️Why you will love this recipe
- Delightful flavors: With the sweet and floral notes of elderflower syrup, the zingy freshness of limes, and the coolness of mint, this cocktail is a symphony of flavors that's sure to tantalize your taste buds.
- Perfect for hot days: There's nothing quite like a cold and fizzy drink to beat the heat, and the Hugo Cocktail is exactly that - a refreshing and revitalizing beverage that's perfect for hot summer days.
- Easy to make: This cocktail is incredibly easy to prepare and requires only a handful of ingredients that are easily accessible at your local grocery store.
- Versatile: Whether you're hosting a BBQ party, going on a picnic, or simply enjoying a relaxing evening at home, the Hugo Cocktail is a versatile drink that can be enjoyed on any occasion.
So go ahead and give this recipe a try - we guarantee that you won't be disappointed!
📖The history of the Hugo Spritz Cocktail
This is a Cocktail that got very popular here in Europe a few years ago.
First the Aperol Spritz came up and was the aperitif drink to have in bars. When its prime time slowly started to be over the next big thing came: the Hugo!
It is said that the cocktail was born in the Südtirol area. The original recipe used prosecco, lemon balm syrup, soda and mint and is typically served in a big red wine glas. Over time many variations started to pop up. The main change was that people started to use elderflower syrup instead of the lemon balm syrup.
In the cocktails prime time you could find the drink everywhere and grocery stores even started to sell them. However, the thing that makes this cocktail so good is its freshness. This cocktail has to be made fresh every time to really bring you the best flavor! Luckily this cocktail is super simple to make and only takes a few minutes of your time. So, you won't have to run to the next bar. You can just simply make this delicious refreshing cocktail at home and enjoy in the sun.
I had many different ways of a Hugo in many bars all over Austria and Switzerland. This recipe combines components of the different variations and is the way my family I like to drink a Hugo.
Making the Hugo Cocktail is easy and requires only a few simple tools. Here's what you'll need:
- Big red wine glass: You'll need a big red wine glass to hold all the ingredients and allow enough space for the fizziness of the cocktail.
- Measuring tool: You'll need a measuring tool like a jigger to ensure the right amount of elderflower syrup is added to the cocktail.
- Cutting board and knife: To prepare the lime slices, you'll need a cutting board and knife. The recipe calls for half a lime cut into small slices.
- Spoon or stirrer: Once all the ingredients are in the glass, you'll need a spoon or stirrer to give the cocktail a gentle stir.
This cocktail is super simple to make and only needs a few ingredients that most have at home:
- Ice: To keep the drink cold
- Elderflower syrup: You can use store bought one. However, I highly recommend you to use a homemade one and make sure you add some lemon or lime zest into the syrup when making it to help bring out the citrusy flavor profile of the Hugo cocktail more. Check out my homemade elderflower syrup for a great recipe!
- Mint leaves: They give your drink some freshness. Make sure you give them a little slap to release the essences.
- Lime: Yet another component giving you freshness and adding that little citrusy kick. This works even better if you use the elderflower with lime or lemon zest in it. Cut the Lime into slices and then cut those slices in half. You can also use one halved slice as decoration.
- Prosecco: The bubble and alcohol component turning this cocktail in a delicious, bubbly drink.
- Sparkling water: To fill up the glas. It helps mixing all the components together and bringing down the strong flavors mixing them into a nice, refreshing mixture and bringing down the strong drink.
👩🏻🍳How to make a Hugo cocktail
Here is a quick overview of the recipe steps. Please read the recipe card for the full instructions.
- Fill a big red wine glass with ice.
- Add 2 cl of elderflower syrup to the glass.
- Clap 6 mint leaves to bring out their essence, and add them to the glass.
- Cut half a lime into small slices and add them to the glass.
- Pour a small bottle of Prosecco into the glass.
- Fill the glass with sparkling water.
- Give the cocktail a gentle stir with a spoon or stirrer.
- Enjoy your delicious and bubbly Hugo Cocktail!
🌼Need a homemade elderflower syrup recipe?
This cocktail is best with a homemade elderflower syrup. Check out the recipe for my homemade elderflower syrup recipe here:
🍹Hugo mocktail for the kids!
Have guests over with kids or your kids want to have a refreshing fancy drink too? Don't you worry. Simply replace the prosecco with more sparkling water and your kids will have a huge smile on their face.
The Hugo Cocktail is a versatile drink that's perfect for a variety of occasions. Here are some serving suggestions to help you enjoy this delicious and refreshing drink:
- Serve at a BBQ party: The Hugo Cocktail is perfect for serving at a BBQ party. Its light and bubbly taste make it a great accompaniment to grilled meats and vegetables.
- Pair with light appetizers: The cocktail's floral and fruity notes pair well with light appetizers like bruschetta, caprese salad, or fresh fruit.
- Enjoy on a hot summer day: The Hugo Cocktail's refreshing and revitalizing taste makes it the perfect drink for a hot summer day. Sip it while lounging by the pool or relaxing on the beach.
- Serve at a picnic: The Hugo Cocktail is a great addition to any picnic basket. Its light and bubbly taste make it a refreshing drink to enjoy while snacking on sandwiches, cheese, and crackers.
So, whether you're hosting a party, enjoying a picnic, or simply relaxing at home, the Hugo Cocktail is a delicious and refreshing drink that's sure to impress!
💭Frequently asked questions
Q: Can I make this cocktail without alcohol?
A: Yes, you can easily make a non-alcoholic version of the Hugo Cocktail by omitting the Prosecco and using sparkling water instead.
Q: Can I use a different type of wine instead of Prosecco?
A: While Prosecco is the recommended wine for the Hugo Cocktail, you can use other types of sparkling wine if you prefer.
Q: How much sparkling water should I use?
A: Fill up the glass with sparkling water to your desired level.
Q: Can I use a different type of glass instead of a big red wine glass?
A: an I use a different type of glass instead of a big red wine glass?
Other boozy recipes you might like
Hugo Cocktail Made At Home
- Glass (typically served in a red wine glas)
- 2 cl Elderflower Syrup
- some Mint leaves about 6
- ½ Lime cut into small slices
- 1 small bottle Prosecco 20cl
- Sparkling water
- Fill about ¼ of a big red wine glas with ice.
- Add the elderflower syrup.
- Take some mint leaves and bring the essences out by holding them in one hand and giving them a little clap with your other hand. Add them to the glas
- Add some lime slices. I always cut the slices in half again before I add them to the glas.
- Fill in your small bottle of prosecco.
- Fill up the glas with sparkling water. Enjoy!
- Elderflower syrup: I highly recommend using a homemade one. You can adjust the flavor of your syrup and make it the perfect flavor for this cocktail just the way you like it. Check out this recipe for a great homemade elderflower syrup: Homemade Elderflower Syrup - Oh Sweet Cultureshock . If you swap the lemon zest with lime zest it will go perfectly with the refreshing Hugo.
- Make it a mocktail for the kids: Have guests over with kids or your kids want to have a refreshing fancy drink too? Don't you worry. Simply replace the prosecco with more sparkling water and your kids will have a huge smile on their face.
Metric conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
Can’t wait to make this. It looks absolutely delicious.
I am so excited you want to try this cocktail Roma! Let me know how you liked it once you do! Can't wait to hear from you 😀
This recipe looks really refreshing and perfect for summer! I'm allergic to citrus, so I'm interested in your mention of lemon balm syrup in the original recipe. Do you know if that's something that can be purchased?
Thank you so much for asking. Yes, we can get it at a small local store that has many special items and when in season we can find them at the farmers market. You have to be careful when buying lemon balm syrup tough as it often contains lemon juice or was cooked with lemon peels. If you can not find any without citrus in it you can easily make the syrup yourself. Simply mix 1 part sugar with 1 part water in a pot and add a handful of lemon balm leaves. Bring to a slight boil while stirring till the sugar has dissolved. Remove the pot from the heat and let it steep for at least 30 minutes so the lemon balm leaves can infuse. Then pour the syrup into a sterilized bottle or jar and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if I can help with anything else.
wow this tasted as good as it looks. SO refreshing
This was a great recipe and perfect for next to the pool or as a brunch alternative.
We made this cocktail over the holiday and it was a huge success, we loved it. Also, the kids enjoyed it so much as I followed your guidelines to make it free from alcohol. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Thank you so much for trying this recipe! I am so happy that the whole family loved it and hope your holiday was amazing.
love this cocktail!! It's the perfect drink for summer, and it's easy to make!
The homemade elderflower syrup makes this drink! Cheers!
Giangi Townsend says
Made it for a girlfriend evening and was a great success. Refreshing and so tasty. It was a challenge to found the syrup luckuly our local specialty store had it