This easy Cajun Chicken Tacos are super simple to make and are perfect for tacos Tuesday. With only a few simple ingredients these tacos are made in less than 30 minutes!
Why you will love this recipe
- Can be made
Cajun chicken tacos are perfect for really any occasion! Make a tacos bar for tacos Tuesday serving this delicious treat. Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with them or serve them as an appetizer. As we love making everything from scratch you will need some time to prepare all the toppings. However, you can easily make these ahead of time and will have this recipe ready in less than 30 minutes!
Ingredients needed for Cajun chicken tacos
- Chicken: This recipe uses chicken breasts.
- Cajun Seasoning: For this recipe we use homemade Cajun seasoning. You can use store-bought seasoning but we do not recommend it.
- Toppings: This recipes uses our go to toppings. You can find more ideas below
- Tortillas: Use your favorite tortillas! No matter if you choose wheat tortillas or corn, really any tortilla tastes great with the Cajun chicken!
How to make Cajun seasoning
Honestly I always season my food to taste. I never measure my spices and just throw in what looks good to me. That is why I want to urge you to just try different amounts. Use as much of each seasoning as you like. If you like it more spicy add more chili powder. Love garlic? Add more garlic powder!
Here are the rough amounts I usually add of each spice when cooking this Cajun chicken tacos for my family. As I can not handle any spice the chili powder is kept to a minimum while we love garlic!
You will need:
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper
Mix everything in a small bowl and season your chicken with it.
You can easily make bigger batches of this seasoning and keep it in a jar to always have it ready.
Our favorite way to eat tacos is making a tacos bar on the table and just let everyone choose their toppings. You can fin the recipes for all our go to toppings are up on the blog. They are:
We always serve fresh cilantro and lime wedges to finish off our tacos. The cilantro you can just rip apart by hand and put in your tacos, really the easiest way. You can cut it small if you prefer that tough. The leftovers will go bad super quickly tough. The lime you can just cut in half or into wedges and squeeze to get the juice out.
Other toppings we love to add to switch it up:
- Jalapeno: simply cut some jalapenos into slices
- Mango Tomato Salsa: Cut a mango into small cubes and mix it into the roasted tomato salsa. Add some jalapeno cut into small pieces to give it some spice
- Lettuce: My family loves to add some fresh shredded lettuce to give it a bit more crunch and freshness.
How to make easy Cajun chicken tacos
Make the Cajun Chicken
Cut your chicken breasts into cubes and add them to a medium sized bowl.
Mix all the spices in a small bowl to make your homemade Cajun spice mix.
Season your chicken with the Cajun spice mixture and mix well so the chicken is evenly coated.
Add the olive oil to a medium skillet and heat it up over medium heat till it shimmers.
Add the chicken to the skillet and cook till golden brown and cooked trough (8-12 minutes).
Serve the Tacos
Serve the Cajun chicken together with refried beans, salsa, guacamole, pickled onions, fresh cilantro and a splash of fresh lime juice.
We usually start by adding refried beans as the first layer on our tacos. then guacamole topped with the chicken. Salsa and pickled onions on top and then finish it off with the fresh cilantro and lime juice. The best way is to serve it all as a tacos bar on the table and let everyone fill their own tacos.
Storage and shelf life
Tacos are best consumed fresh! You can keep all the ingredients in separate air tight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
If you want to bring the tacos with you for lunch you can prepare them the night before and keep them in fridge. You can easily reheat in the microwave or steamer. Just make sure to add the pickled onions and cilantro separate and do not heat them.
Frequently asked questions
Q: Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
A: These tacos are best enjoyed fresh! However, you can easily make the tacos the night before and take them with you to work / school. If possible I highly recommend making all the toppings and the meat ahead of time but keep them in separate containers. Then simply reheat the meat.
Q: Can I make this recipe vegan or vegetarian?
A: Yes, the toppings already are naturally vegan and vegetarian. Simply use a plant-based alternative for chicken and use the same seasoning.
Q: Are tacos gluten-free?
A: You can easily make your tacos gluten-free. Simply choose a gf tortilla and you are good to go! All the toppings are gluten-free as we make our spice mix ourselves. Be careful if you decide to use a store-bought Cajun seasoning, they often have ingredients mixed in that contain gluten.
Q: Can I use a store-bough Cajun seasoning?
A: You could but I do not recommend it. In my opinion food always tastes better when you season it yourself to your taste! Plus you know exactly what is in your seasoning. Spice mixes from the store often contain ingredients you do not really want in your seasoning and often also have ingredients in it that contain gluten.
Q: Can I replace the chicken?
A: You absolutely can. I love replacing it with shrimp. Cajun shrimp tacos are so good! A coleslaw goes perfectly with shrimp tacos. You can also use any meat replacement and use the Cajun seasoning on it.
Cajun Chicken Tacos Recipe
- Sharpe Knife
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
Make the Cajun Chicken
- Cut your chicken breasts into cubes and add them to a bowl.
- Mix all the spices in a small bowl to make your homemade Cajun spice mix.
- Season your chicken with the Cajun spice mixture and mix well so the chicken is evenly coated.
- In a medium skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat till it shimmers.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cook till golden brown and cooked trough (8-12 minutes). Make sure to cook the chicken on both sides by turning it and also keep moving it from time to time so it does not burn. It is important to keep an eye on it.
Serve the tacos
- Serve the Cajun chicken together with refried beans, salsa, guacamole, pickled onions, fresh cilantro and a splash of fresh lime juice.We usually start by adding refried beans as the first layer on our tacos. then guacamole topped with the chicken. Salsa and pickled onions on top and then finish it off with the fresh cilantro and lime juice. The best way is to serve it all as a tacos bar on the table and let everyone fill their own tacos.Enjoy!
US Customary conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.