Earl Grey Hot Chocolate Recipe
This decadent Earl Grey Hot Chocolate recipe combines the best of both worlds; creamy hot chocolate with the delicious flavor of Earl Grey tea. A quick and easy recipe that will get you through these cold winter days.
Why you will love this recipe
- For the undecided
- Great for a crowd
If you can’t decide between tea or hot chocolate during these cold winter days, then this is your solution! This is a perfectly creamy hot chocolate elevated with the subtle Earl Grey flavor. As this recipe uses a black tea the caffeine will give you the energy needed to get through your day.
Enjoy this heartwarming drink on a cold Winter Day, snuggled up on the couch with your family.
If you enjoy this earl grey hot chocolate recipe, then you should be trying one of my other versions like this cinnamon hot chocolate.
This recipe only needs a few simple ingredients which you probably already have in your kitchen.
- Milk: Any kind of milk will work here no matter your diet
- Heavy Cream: This recipe uses heavy whippy cream for a super thick and creamy hot chocolate. Half and half can be used as an alternative which makes a less creamy version.
- Chocolate: The chocolate of your choice (semi-sweet chocolate is my personal favorite). Both chocolate bars or chips work as long as there are no added ingredients like nuts.
- Earl Grey: Loose leaf or in tea bags
How to make Earl Grey Hot Chocolate
Simmer the milk and heavy cream on medium heat.
Turn off the heat and add the tea.
Let steep for 5-10 minutes
Remove the tea and turn the stove onto low.
Add the chocolate and whisk till completely melted.
Pour the hot chocolate into a cup.
Froth your milk (if using) and top off your chocolate with it.
My suggestion is to use frothed milk as a topping. It is simple which will allow the earl grey flavor to stand out.
Here are some more ideas for you if that is not your thing:
- Whipped Cream
- Lavender Infused Whipped Cream
Make it in the crockpot
You can prepare your hot chocolate in the crockpot. This will be perfect when you have guests over or when your family just loves hot chocolate so much that you want to have it ready all day long.
- Simply add all ingredients except the tea to the pot and turn it onto high.
- After 30 minutes give it a stir.
- Then let sit for another half an hour.
- Turn down on low.
- Add the tea bags and let it steep for 10 minutes. Remove and turn the crockpot down to warm
If you plan on making a big batch, I recommend pouring the hot chocolate into a crockpot to keep it warm. If you do not own one, simply cover the pot with a lit and keep the stove on low.
If you get a layer on top of the hot chocolate don’t worry. Simply give it a quick stir to mix it back in.
In case not everything gets used you can store it in the fridge in an airtight container like a mason jar.
Enjoy this hot drink along side some cookies.
Frequently asked questions
Q: Can I make hot chocolate with other teas?
A: You can infuse your hot chocolate with other teas. However, I recommend using unflavored teas and to stick to black teas. An English Breakfast tea for example would be a good choice.
Q: Can hot chocolate be made for a crowd?
A: Yes! Please refer to the storage or the crock pot section in the post above.
More recipes to try
Earl Grey Hot Chocolate
- 1 Pot
- 1 Whisk
- 8 dl Milk plus additional milk for the topping
- 1 dl Heavy Cream
- 100 g Chocolate
- 3 bags Earl Grey Tea (or 2 tbsp)
- In a small pot bring the milk and heavy cream to a simmer.
- Turn off the heat and add the tea. Let the mixture steep for 5-10 minutes (depending on how strong you want the earl grey flavor). Be careful to not let it steep any longer as the tea will start to get bitter.
- Remove the tea and turn the stove back on on low.
- Add the chocolate and whisk till it is completely melted.
- Pour the hot chocolate into a cup.
- Froth your milk (if using) and top off your chocolate with it.
Metric conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
9 thoughts on “Earl Grey Hot Chocolate Recipe”
that subtle taste of earl grey is lovely. i really enjoyed this recipe
The flavor combo of this hot chocolate is so comforting!
This is perfect for the winter
Oooooh, this sounds like a London Fog, hot chocolate style. I’m soooo going to have to give it a try. Since I have to be careful with dairy thanks to a tick bite (stupid alpha-gal syndrome), I appreciate that you’ve got notes about using plant-based alternatives.
I am so happy that this is helpful for you 🙂 With my family having different restrictions I always want to make sure that my recipes can be adapted for different diets so everyone can enjoy my treats 🙂
this was amazing two of my favorite things combined together earl grey and hot chocolate
bookmarked!!, I really like your site!
Gave this a try when it was really cold and I really enjoyed it! The Earl grey tea was a delicious compliment to the chocolate flavor. This was a rich and creamy treat and I’ll be sure to make it again on the next chilly day.
Thank you so much for trying this earl grey hot chocolate recipe! I am so happy you loved it 🙂