This Cinnamon Hot Chocolate is like a big hug from the inside. Rich and creamy packed with that delicious cinnamon flavor. This recipe is super quick to make and uses simple ingredients.
❤️Why you will love this recipe
- Super Creamy
- Chocolate Heaven
- Quick & Easy
- Simple Ingredients
This hot chocolate will make every chocoholic's dream come true! With only a few simple ingredients and 5 minutes of your time you'll have a thick and creamy cup of hot chocolate.
Unlike many thin hot chocolates, you find in the US, this recipe makes a thick and creamy one that is similar to an Italian hot chocolate.
The recipe is based off my basic hot chocolate recipe and simply has cinnamon added to it. This recipe will make a cup that will warm you up from the inside. Perfect for those cold fall and winter days!
If you like this recipe, you should also try this Baileys version!
Here's a quick overview of the tools required:
- A Sturdy Pot: A medium-sized, heavy-bottomed pot is the heart of this recipe. It should have enough capacity to hold your milk, cream, chocolate, and spices comfortably.
- Whisk: A trusty whisk is your best friend here. It's essential for smoothly integrating all the ingredients and preventing any lumps or burning.
- Measuring Cups: To maintain precise measurements, having measuring cups, specifically a deciliter (dl) and a milliliter (ml) measurement, is crucial. This ensures the right balance of milk, cream, and other ingredients.
- Kitchen Scale: If you're working with chocolate that needs to be precisely measured (100g, in this case), a kitchen scale is indispensable.
- Spatula or Wooden Spoon: While the whisk does most of the work, having a spatula or wooden spoon on hand is helpful for scraping the sides of the pot and ensuring nothing sticks or burns.
- Thermos Container or Slow Cooker (for larger batches): If you plan to make a bigger batch for a gathering or event, a thermos container or a slow cooker will come in handy for keeping the hot chocolate warm and ready to serve, maintaining its delightful flavor throughout the event.
The ingredients needed for this recipe are simple. You probably already have them all in your kitchen.
- Milk: Any milk will work here; cow's milk and plant-based milk.
- Heavy Cream: Use heavy whippy cream for a super thick and creamy hot chocolate or use half and half for a less creamy version.
- Chocolate: Use the chocolate of your choice. I prefer a semi-sweet chocolate, however this specific recipe work with any kind of chocolate that does not have any addons like nuts in it.
- Vanilla Extract: Make sure to use real vanilla extract to get the best flavor.
- Cinnamon: You can simply use ground cinnamon or one whole cinnamon stick.
👩🏻🍳How to make this cinnamon hot chocolate
Here is a quick overview of the recipe steps. Please read the recipe card for the full instructions.
Add all the ingredients to a pot.
Cook on medium heat while stirring until the chocolate has melted.
Enjoy this cinnamon hot chocolate as is or top it off with your choice of topping.
Toppings for Hot Chocolate
- Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Shavings
🥄Storage and Make Ahead Instructions
Hot chocolate can be made ahead. Making a big batch would be perfect for a smores party. To keep it warm I recommend storing your drink in a thermos bottle or have it in a slow cooker on low.
If you do not finish your hot chocolate, then pour it into a bottle or air-tight container and keep it in the fridge. Usually, the mixture will thicken up more over time. Therefore, you will have to add some mil the next time you want to enjoy it. You can reheat your drink in the microwave.
💭Frequently asked questions
Q: Can I replace heavy cream with half and half?
A: Replacing the heavy cream with half and half would be absolutely fine in this case. The hot chocolate will be less thick and creamy but will still taste amazing.
Q: How can I make this vegan?
A: Simply use a plant-based milk and a plant-based cream alternative to make your vegan hot chocolate. Alternatively, you can use the plant-based milk instead of the cream too.
Q: Can I make hot chocolate in the slow cooker?
A: Absolutely you can! Add all the ingredient to a slow cooker and let it cook for 2 hours on low. Make sure to give it a quick stir every once in a while.
More hot chocolate recipes to try
Cinnamon Hot Chocolate
- 1 Pot
- 8 dl Milk (cow's milk or plant-based)
- 1 dl Heavy Cream or half & half (read notes)
- 100 g Chocolate (see notes)
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon (see notes)
- Add all ingredients into a pot.
- Bring the mixture to a slight simmer on medium heat while stirring with a whisk. You'll have to make sure to keep stirring till the chocolate is fully melted so it does not burn.
- Once the chocolate is fully melted turn the heat onto high and let cook for 1-2 minutes to thicken it up.
- Turn off the heat and serve.If you are making a big batch, make sure to store it in a thermos container or keep it on low in a slow cooker.
US Customary conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.