This Cherry Smash Cocktail will soon be your new favorite. The cherries and dark rum make it a super fresh and sweet cocktail yet you get a spiciness from the Ginger beer! A super simple cocktail for your weekend pleasure.
When it comes to summer fruits cherries are definitely my all time favorites! Man what am I saying? They're my favorite fruit of the year! I can not get enough of everything cherry like these Cherry White Chocolate Blondies.
It was obvious that I had to create a cocktail using my favorite fruit. The result was this delicious cherry smash cocktail. I have combined 2 of my favorite drinks to create this amazing cocktail and I am obsessed with the results! Even my parents that are not the biggest cherry fans loved it.
❤️Why you will love this recipe
f you're looking for a refreshing and flavorful cocktail, the cherry smash cocktail is definitely worth trying. Here are a few reasons why you'll love this recipe:
- Complex flavor profile: The combination of cherries, mint, lemon juice, and ginger beer creates a delicious and complex flavor profile that's both sweet and slightly tart, with a hint of spice from the ginger beer.
- Natural sweetener: Using natural cane sugar adds a touch of sweetness without being overly sweet or artificial.
- Rich taste: Dark rum gives the cocktail a rich, smooth taste that balances out the other flavors perfectly.
- Easy to make: This cocktail is easy to make and doesn't require any fancy equipment. All you need is a glass, a muddler or wooden spoon, and some ice.
- Versatile: The cherry smash cocktail is perfect for any occasion. Whether you're hosting a party, relaxing at home, or simply in the mood for a tasty and refreshing drink, this recipe is sure to please.
Overall, the cherry smash cocktail is a perfect drink for those who want a refreshing and flavorful cocktail that's easy to make and versatile. The combination of fresh ingredients and dark rum creates a perfect balance of flavors that's sure to please your taste buds.
To make the cherry smash cocktail, you don't need any fancy or specialized equipment. Here's what you'll need:
- A glass: A highball or Collins glass works well for this recipe, but you can use any glass you have on hand.
- A muddler or wooden spoon: You'll need this to muddle the cherries, mint leaves, lemon juice, and natural cane sugar together in the glass.
- Jigger: This is a small hourglass-shaped tool commonly used for measuring liquor. A liquids measuring cup will work too.
For this cherry smash cocktail recipe you do need a few ingredients. We have sweet and spicy components that mix together into an amazing flavor profile. The following ingredients are needed:
- Cherries: Pitted and cut in half, these sweet and juicy fruits are the star of the show.
- Raw cane sugar: his natural sweetener adds a touch of sweetness to balance out the tartness of the lemon and the spiciness of the ginger beer.If you can not get cane sugar you can simply use normal sugar.
- Peppermint leaves: Fresh mint leaves add a refreshing aroma and a subtle minty flavor to the cocktail
- Lemon juice: This citrusy ingredient adds a bright and tangy note to the drink, balancing out the sweetness of the cherries and the sugar.
- Ice: his essential ingredient keeps the cocktail cool and refreshing.
- Dark rum: This boozy component adds a rich and smooth taste to the cocktail, perfectly complementing the sweetness of the cherries and the spiciness of the ginger beer.
- Ginger beer: The ginger beerprovides the cocktail with a spicy kick, making it even more delicious and refreshing.
Don't worry, even though there are quite a few ingredients, this recipe is very easy to make, and the result is definitely worth it!
👩🏻🍳How to make a Cherry Smash cocktail
Here is a quick overview of the recipe steps. Please read the recipe card for the full instructions.
- In a glass, muddle together the pitted and halved cherries, raw cane sugar, peppermint leaves, and lemon juice until well combined and the cherries are mashed.
- Add ice to the glass, leaving enough room for the rum and ginger beer.
- Pour in the dark rum and top off with ginger beer.
- Stir the cocktail gently with a spoon to combine all the flavors.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves and enjoy
Here are some tips and ideas to serve this cocktail:
- Keep your ingredients cold: To make this drink extra refreshing, make sure to keep your cherries, mint leaves, and ginger beer in the fridge before making the cocktail. You can even pop your rum in the freezer to make it extra cold, as alcohol does not freeze. Using cold ingredients will keep your cocktail crisp and refreshing.
- Freeze some fresh cherries: Instead of using ice cubes that can water down your drink, freeze some fresh cherries and add them to the glass before pouring in the cocktail. This will add a nice touch of sweetness and keep your drink cold without diluting it.
- Cold glass: Serve the cocktail in a chilled glass filled with ice, garnished with a cherry and a sprig of fresh mint. This is a classic and elegant way to present the cocktail.
- Use a mule cup: If you want to keep your cocktail extra cool, serve it in a copper mule cup. These cups are designed to keep drinks cold for longer periods of time and will add an extra touch of sophistication to your drink presentation.
- Be adventurous: If you're feeling adventurous, try serving the cocktail in a hollowed-out watermelon or pineapple. This creates a fun and unique presentation that's perfect for summer parties.
If you're feeling adventurous, try serving the cocktail in a hollowed-out watermelon or pineapple. This creates a fun and unique presentation that's perfect for summer parties. Or enjoy the cocktail on its own as a refreshing and flavorful drink after a long day. Sit back, relax, and savor the sweet and spicy flavors of the cherry smash cocktail.
💭Frequently asked questions
Q: How can I make this cocktail for a crowd?
A: You can easily make a big batch of this cocktail in a pitcher! Simply change the serving size in the recipe card so you have enough for a crowd. Drink responsibly! To prevent the drink from watering down I recommend using frozen cherries instead of ice to keep your drink cold.
Q: Can I make a mocktail version?
A: Yes, simply omit the rum and use more ginger beer. If it is to spicy then I recommend adding some simple syrup or fill with club soda.
Q: Can I make this ahead of time?
A: Absolutely! Make the whole recipe except the step where you add ice! The ice would water down the drink if added to early. You can add frozen cherries instead of ice cubes as an alternative. Keep in the fridge till you want to enjoy. This works for big batches too.
Q: Can I use frozen cherries instead of fresh ones?
A: Yes, you can use frozen cherries for this recipe. Just make sure to thaw them before using them.
Q: Can I use white rum instead of dark rum?
A: Yes, you can use white rum instead of dark rum. However, it will give the cocktail a different taste profile.
Q: Can I use dried mint instead of fresh mint?
A: Fresh mint is highly recommended for this recipe. Dried mint will not have the same flavor profile and may make the cocktail taste bitter.
Other boozy recipes you might like:
- 5 Cherries pitted and cut in half
- 1 teaspoon Natural cane sugar
- 6 Mint leaves
- 1 cl Lemon juice
- 6 cl Dark Rum
- 1 Ginger beer
- Add the cherries, cane sugar, peppermint leaves and lemon juice to a glass.
- Mash everything well with a muddler. Alternatively use the back of a wooden spoon if you do not own a muddler.Make sure you get all the cherries when smashing. You want all the cherry juices in your drink to get the best flavor!
- Add some ice to the glass. You can use as much as you like here, just make sure there is enough space to add the rum and ginger beer.
- Pour in the rum.
- Then fill the glass up with the ginger beer.
- Using a spoon stir your drink carefully.
- Finally decorate with some mint leaves and enjoy!
- This recipe can easily be made for a crowd!
- Keep your ingredients cold to make this drink extra refreshing. You could pop your alcohol in the freezer to make it extra cold. As alcohol does not freeze you can use it straight out of the freezer!
- Freeze some fresh cherries and add them to the glass. This will keep your drink cold without watering it down! The perfect alternative to ice cubes.
Metric conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
Jodi Reed says
This sounds amazing. I love ginger beer and will definitely be giving this recipe a try. We normally just do Moscow Mules with the ginger beer. I'm super excited to give this a try. Thanks for the great recipe!
I am so happy you like this recipe! This drink was actually inspired by the Moscow Mule. I love drinking Moscow Mules but also am addicted to any kind of smash cocktails. So I combined those 2 drinks into my new favorite cocktail 😀 Can't wait for you to try it!
Andrea White says
This looks incredibly flavorful and fun! Can't wait to try this out!
Stacy Boswell says
This drink looks absolutely amazing! So perfect for those yummy summer cherries. Can't wait to make it!
Mihaela | https://theworldisanoyster.com/ says
My partner makes all sorts of cocktails. I saved this recipe for him to make this weekend when we have guests - by the way it sounds, I'm sure it will be a success! Thanks for posting it:)
Oh yey I am so excited you want to try the recipe this weekend Mihaela! I hope you and your partner will enjoy this cocktail! Cheers and let me know how it was 😀
Gabriela Herrera says
What a great cocketail to have any time of the week.
Such a refreshing cocktail!
So happy you liked it Shelby. Thank you for trying this recipe
Bianca, you always surprise me with great ideas. Awsome cocktail recipe.
Omg that is so sweet of you Natalie! Thank you so so much! So happy you loved this cocktail
Such a beautiful cocktail! I love anything with fresh cherries
Giangi Townsend says
Looks so refreshing. May I replace the rum with vodka?
This is my favourite cocktail is this summer! Made it already 3 times and it is so good.
Yeyyy I am so happy to hear that Fede! Thank you so much for trying the recipe and taking the time to give me a feedback.
wow the colors are amazing. Super tasty