This Baileys Hot Chocolate recipe will be the perfect way to get you trough winter season or celebrate the holidays. A super rich and creamy hot chocolate which will make every chocoholics dream come true! Plus who says no to some booze after a long day out in the snow?
The perfect drink to make when the hot chocolate cravings kick in or you just need something boozy to warm you up from the inside. No matter if you were on the slopes all day, have a cozy day inside or are celebrating the holidays, this boozy hot chocolate recipe is the perfect grown-up drink during winter time.
Save this recipe for St. Patrick's Day!
Why is this recipe so good?
- Easy to make: It could not be any easier to make super creamy hot chocolate. Everyone can do this!
- Very quick: This recipe is made in only a few minutes.
- Few ingredients: You only need 5 ingredients everyone usually has on hand
- Chocolate flavor: Forget chocolate powder! This recipe uses real chocolate and melts it straight into your milk. You get the full on chocolate flavor!
- Boozy: Who says no to some booze? It is the perfect drink to celebrate the holidays, warm back up on a cold winter day or when you had enough of the kids screaming during the winter break ;P
Ingredients for homemade Baileys hot chocolate
One of the things that make this hot chocolate recipe so easy to make is the simple ingredients! You probably have most of them in your pantry already.
- Chocolate: Use a chocolate bar or simply chocolate chips. It is recommended to use a dark chocolate so the drink does not turn out to sweet and heavy. However, this really depends on what you like.. Try different chocolate types and find your favorite.
- Milk: Use any kind of milk. Both cow milk as well as plant based milk work.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: The heavy whipping cream is what makes this hot chocolate so creamy.
- Vanilla Extract: Gives it some extra flavor and cuts trough the sweetness of the chocolate.
- Baileys: Baileys is a great boozy addition to your hot chocolate especially during the holidays.
- Optional Toppings: Top of your hot chocolate with your favorite toppings. Find some suggestions below.
There are so many options to top off your hot chocolate! Here are some of my favorites:
- Grated chocolate
- Whipped Cream
- Frothed milk
How to make Baileys hot chocolate
Making this recipe really is super simple and only needs a few minutes of your time. The perfect drink to make when the hot chocolate cravings kick in or you just need something boozy to warm you up from the inside.
Here is how it is done:
Add the milk, heavy whipping cream to a medium sized pot.
Break the chocolate bar into smaller pieces.
Add the broken up chocolate bar or alternatively chocolate chips to the pot.
Turn the stove onto medium heat.
Stir the mixture with a whisk or a heat-proof rubber spatula till the chocolate is melted.
Turn off the heat and mix in the vanilla extract.
Pour as much Baileys as you want into a cup and top it off with the hot chocolate.
Add any additional toppings you like and enjoy!
Frequently asked questions:
Q: Can I make this with white chocolate?
A: Yes you can also use white chocolate. As long as there is no filling like nuts in the chocolate you can use whatever you like. However, white chocolate is much sweeter than dark chocolate which I usually use. That is why i recommend cutting down the amount of chocolate you add when using a sweeter chocolate like the white kind.
Q: Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
A: Yes you can prepare the hot chocolate beforehand. Keep the mixture in the pot on the stove on low heat. If you have a keep warm spot on your stove even better. You can also let it completely cool down and heat the hot chocolate back up. If you let your mixture stand around for a long time the milk will form a thin layer on the surface. Simply remove that before pouring the hot chocolate into the cup so you won't have the pieces in your drink.
Other warming drinks you might like:
Homemade Baileys Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 100 g Chocolate Bar or chocolate chips
- 8 dl Milk
- 1 dl Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 dl Baileys
- Optional Toppings
- Add the milk, heavy whipping cream to a medium sized pot.
- Break the chocolate bar into smaller pieces.
- Add the broken up chocolate bar or alternatively chocolate chips to the pot.
- Turn the stove onto medium heat.
- Stir the mixture with a whisk or a heat-proof rubber spatula till the chocolate is melted.
- Turn off the heat and mix in the vanilla extract.
- Pour as much Baileys as you want into a cup and top it off with the hot chocolate.
- Add any additional toppings you like and enjoy!
- Grated chocolate
- Whipped Cream
- Frothed milk
US Customary conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.